No. 4 St. Mary's holds off No. 7 Calvert Hall, 6-5 BOYS LACROSSE


St. Mary's gave visiting Calvert Hall more than enough chances to stage a come-from-behind victory in yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game at Weems Whalen Field.

But, by the time the seventh-ranked Cardinals realized they were still in the game, it was over and No. 4 St. Mary's had escaped with a 6-5 win.

"We just did not play as a team that last 15 minutes and we're fortunate to have won," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "It's great to win, it's just disappointing how we finished. We do not have individual stars, and that's fine with me, but we have got to play as a team."

The Saints pulled ahead 6-1 a little more than a minute into the second half on an unassisted goal by sophomore Josh White and never scored thereafter, enabling Calvert Hall to make it close.

Despite numerous unforced turnovers, the Cardinals (4-1, 2-1), who were struggling with fundamental stick skills, closed to within three on third-quarter goals by seniors David Federline and Steve Preis.

St. Mary's (3-0) continued to force shots in the fourth quarter and most of them sailed wide of the target or were stopped by Calvert Hall goalie Mickey Jarboe. Jarboe finished with nine saves and was the only Calvert Hall player coach Mike Thomas wasn't upset with.

"Thank goodness for our goalie, he was the only one who came to play," said Thomas. "If it hadn't been for Mickey they would have won by 10 goals. I just can't get these guys to show up to play all the time."

Jarboe made three saves late in the fourth quarter, only to see his teammates throw the ball out of bounds on the other end of the field.

Senior attackman Alex Borcz, who led the Cardinals with two goals, picked up his second one with 26 seconds left to pull Calvert Hall to within two, and junior midfielder Jerry Schiavino provided the final margin with an unassisted goal with no time left.

"If we would have played the way I think we can play, it could have been right down to the wire," said Thomas, whose team will play host to top-ranked Boys' Latin on Tuesday. "But, every time we got into a situation where we could give them a game we would do something stupid. It was embarrassing."

The first half wasn't flattering for the Cardinals, either.

After Jarboe turned away four Saints shots, Danny Marohl took a pass from Dan Collins, dodged a defender, and put the hosts on the board with a close-range shot with 2:58 left in the first quarter.

Collins added the second goal 80 seconds later on an assist from Ryan Beard, and Marohl made it 3-0 when he scored an unassisted goal early in the second quarter.

Borcz ended Calvert Hall's scoring drought midway through the second quarter, but St. Mary's, which visits Loyola on Tuesday, added two goals before the half, one from Tassos Sfondouris and another by Justin Bowman, to take a 5-1 lead.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad