Passenger in car is wounded by police as he flees Block


A man from Philadelphia was shot early today by a Central District police officer when the driver of a car in which he was a passenger allegedly attempted to run down two officers investigating a disturbance inside a bar on the Block, the city's entertainment center.

Following the incident, police discovered $27,000 inside the car.

The wounded man was identified as Kenyatta Warren, 19, of Philadelphia.

He was charged with possession of narcotics.

The driver of the car, Robert Potter, 20, of the 800 block of Fountain Green in Bel Air, was charged with two counts of attempted murder.

Other charges were pending against both men.

Police spokesman Sam Ringgold said the officers, whose names were not immediately available, were on their way to the Circus Show Bar in the 400 block of E. Baltimore St. to investigate a disturbance by two men inside the bar around 1 a.m. when they spotted the men driving off in a car.

When the officers attempted to stop the vehicle, Mr. Ringgold said, the driver reportedly veered the car toward the officers, narrowly missing them. Neither officer was hurt.

One of the officers, he said, fired at least three shots from his handgun as the car sped east on East Baltimore Street.

He said the officer who fired the shots did not think he hit the vehicle or either occupant.

The shots drew a large crowd of Block employees and customers who filled the street and watched as the car sped off with the officers in pursuit on foot.

In the 600 block of E. Baltimore St., directly across the street from the Central Police District building, the car went out of control and struck a parked car.

Several officers responding to shots fired by the police officer converged on the scene and arrested the occupants of the car without further incident.

Both men were taken to the police station, where Mr. Warren complained of a burning pain in his back, said Mr. Ringgold. The man was taken to Mercy Medical Center for treatment and sent back to the lockup.

"It wasn't a very serious wound," Mr. Ringgold said.

While homicide squad detectives were interviewing the men, police searched the vehicle and found $27,000.

Police were attempting to learn the source of the money.

Both men were held at the police station pending a bail hearing today before a District Court commissioner.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad