Woman pleads guilty to killing her boyfriend

A Columbia woman who stabbed her boyfriend to death after he slapped her daughter in a dispute over a piece of pie last October pleaded guilty in Howard County Circuit Court yesterday to manslaughter.

Tatyana Kogan, 26, may be sentenced up to three years in prison as part of the plea agreement she accepted for voluntary manslaughter before Judge Dennis Sweeney. She will be sentenced March 28.


Kogan can withdraw her plea and have a trial if Judge Sweeney wants to sentence her beyond the three-year term sought by prosecutors.

Voluntary manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.


She was initially charged with murder and six other offenses in the stabbing death of 31-year-old Andrei Gordon. Those charges were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.

Kogan told police that Mr. Gordon had regularly struck her and her 4-year-old daughter, Jessica, before the Oct. 11 stabbing.

"The defendant reported that Mr. Gordon repeatedly hit her and her daughter so that they would learn to be nice," Assistant State's Attorney Christine Gage said.

Kogan and Mr. Gordon, natives of Russia, legally entered the United States as resident aliens. She arrived in 1990, and he arrived two years later. Kogan may be deported because of her conviction.

During yesterday's hearing, Ms. Gage gave an account of the stabbing:

Kogan told police investigators after her arrest that she and Mr. Gordon got into an argument when he started yelling and slapping her daughter in their home's kitchen because she threw out a piece of pie.

When Kogan told Mr. Gordon that she wanted him to move out, he stated that he would never leave. He then threw a cup at Kogan and started hitting her in her face, head and stomach.

During the fight, Kogan grabbed a steak knife and stabbed Mr. Gordon, who went into the living room and collapsed.


Howard County 911 operators received an emergency call about 10:30 a.m. from Kogan, who reported that she had stabbed her boyfriend once in the chest during an argument at their home in Columbia's Wilde Lake village.

When police and ambulance crews arrived at the house in the 10300 block of Twin Rivers Road, they found Mr. Gordon lying in the living room and struggling to breathe. He was unable to talk.

Kogan admitted to stabbing Mr. Gordon and led investigators to the knife, which she put in a kitchen garbage can.

Mr. Gordon was taken to Howard General Hospital, where a helicopter was waiting to take him to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. After going into cardiac arrest on the way to the county hospital, Mr. Gordon was rushed into the emergency room but doctors were unable to revive him.