Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

No. 5 Loyola rips C.W. Post, 22-6


Loyola ran off eight straight goals midway in the first half and went on to a 22-6 victory over C.W. Post in the lacrosse opener for both yesterday at Curley Field.

But even with the 16-goal decision in his favor, Greyhounds coach Dave Cottle wasn't satisfied with the play of his fifth-ranked team.

"I thought Post really took the play to us at the beginning," Cottle said of the Division II team. "We weren't thinking on the field and we weren't passing the ball the way we should. You're not going to be a good team until you pass the ball."

The Greyhounds were led by senior midfielder Del Halladay with four goals and an assist. Junior midfielder Brian Bacso scored three, including the goal that put Loyola ahead to stay, 3-2, with two seconds left in the first quarter.

Freshman attackman Tim O'Shea came off the bench to get three goals and an assist, junior midfielder Brian Duffy had two goals and four assists

and junior attackman Eamon McCormick had three assists.

The Greyhounds got off to a shaky start as Post's Kevin Kurrus scooped a loose ball past Loyola goalie Tim McGeeney (21 saves) just 19 seconds into the game.

Loyola then went 0-for-6 on an ensuing extra-man situation with only one of the shots having to be stopped by Post goalie Kelly Bixler (16 saves). Then it appeared that the Pioneers would take a 2-0 lead when Dave Loiacano put an unassisted goal into the net less than three minutes into the game.

But the apparent Post goal was disallowed because the Pioneers had 11 men on the field, and Loyola began to put things in order shortly after that.

"That goal would have helped our team, but I don't know if it would have changed the outcome," said Post coach Tom Postel.

Duffy got the first Loyola goal just under six minutes into the

game, but Post answered with an extra-man goal from Paul Selhorn for a 2-1 edge.

Bacso evened the score at 2-2 with three minutes left in the first quarter. And then he put the Greyhounds ahead to stay, firing home a feed from McCormick with two seconds left in the first quarter.

That lead ballooned early in the second quarter. The Greyhounds scored the next six goals, including two from O'Shea and two by Halladay, to open a 9-2 lead with just under five minutes to play in the half.

"It's a matter of you run out of people against a top program like Loyola," said Postel. "We just had to play too much defense."

Post broke the Loyola run with a pair of extra-man goals late in the second quarter to close the deficit to 9-4. But Duffy netted a feed from Zach Thornton with 30 seconds left in the half and Loyola took a 10-4 halftime lead.

The Greyhounds outshot Post 76-36 and had the pressure on for most of the second half as the bigger Greyhounds showed their physical dominance.

Loyola plays at home again Wednesday against Michigan State and gets a big test next Saturday when it travels to North Carolina.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad