THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified...


Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: My 15-year-old had $614 in unearned income last year from interest, dividends and capital gain distributions from mutual funds. My understanding is that a federal return has to be filed if a child with some unearned income has income of $600 or more. I worked it out and he has a $2 tax liability. Do I really have to file a return for $2? Also, can I file the short form or does it have to be the full fledged 1040 and Schedules B and D? What about for the state of Maryland?

A: Yes, you must file a return. The IRS requires that any tax liability due over $1 must be paid. Dependent children with unearned income exceeding $600 must file a return for 1994. Since your child had capital gain distributions you must use Form 1040. File Schedule B with Form 1040 as well. Enter the capital gain distribution on Line 13 on the Form 1040 and write "CGD" next to the amount; this will allow you to avoid filing Schedule D.

You do not have to file a Maryland return since the state threshold for dependent children is Maryland gross income of $6,250 or more.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To submit a question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. In Anne Arundel County call 268-7736, in Harford 836-5028, and in Carroll 848-0338. Using a touch-tone phone, enter 6225 after the greeting. Push 1 to submit a tax question; state the question in full. Push 2 to hear a tax tip. Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered by phone. Please leave your name and phone number.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad