The obituary published Saturday for Marie-Claire Roveti...


The obituary published Saturday for Marie-Claire Roveti included the wrong date for the Mass to be offered for her. The Mass will be offered at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas.

+ The Sun regrets the errors.

Marie-Claire Roveti


Marie-Claire Roveti, a horsewoman and carriage driver, died Monday at Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications of a stroke. She was 53.

She managed her family's show horse and pony farm, Moleson, in Monkton.

She was treasurer of the Maryland Combined Training Association, Driving for the Disabled and My Ladys Manor Driving Club.

She was a fund-raiser for the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society.

She was born Marie-Claire Raemy in Fribourg, Switzerland, and moved to the Baltimore area in 1961 after marrying Dr. George C. Roveti. They lived in Ruxton before moving to the farm in 1969.

A memorial Mass was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas.

In addition to her husband, survivors include a son, Charles P. Roveti of Easton; three sisters, Betty Perrin of Lausanne, Switzerland, Elian Desarzens of Attallens, Switzerland, and Elizabeth Cezza of Montpelier, France; and two grandchildren.

Martin J. Cronin Jr.

Comedian, writer

Martin J. Cronin Jr., a comedian and writer, died Wednesday of acute diabetes and renal failure at Bon Secours Hospital. He was 33.

The Towson resident, known professionally as Joe Cronin, performed stand-up comedy during the mid-1980s at the Omni Inner Harbor Hotel-Baltimore and appeared in comedy clubs statewide.

"He picked up the family sense of humor and was able to make anything funny. I guess he realized that it was our way of surviving," said his father, Martin J. Cronin Sr. of Edgewater.

The younger Mr. Cronin wrote his material and planned to be a professional comedy writer.

He was a dispatcher and supervisor for the Baltimore Trolley Works from 1984 to 1989, when he resigned because of illness.

Reared in Severna Park, he was a 1979 graduate of Archbishop Spalding High School and studied at Emerson College in Boston and Towson State University. .

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 1 p.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues, Towson.

Other survivors include his mother, Nancy D. Cronin of Towson; a sister, Kathleen M. Cronin of Hagerstown; and his maternal grandparents, Donald A. and Edith Date of Towson.

Memorial donations may be made to the Maryland Kidney Foundation, 1107 Kenilworth Drive, Suite 202, Towson 21204. Venneranna Vitale Monico, who had been a barber and beautician, died Wednesday of a heart attack at her Perry Hall home. She was 69.

She retired in 1988 after teaching for 25 years at the Dundalk School of Barbering, now the Academy of Hair Design. Earlier, she operated a beauty shop in Cockeysville in the 1950s.

The daughter of emigrants from Naples, Italy, she was a 1943 graduate of Seton High School.

In 1946, she married a barber, Vincent Monico, now retired, who owned shops in Perry Hall and Pikesville. Two of their three sons are barbers, Angelo P. Monico of Mount Washington and Joseph A. Monico of Baltimore, who own Towne Barbershop in Bel Air.

She was a co-founder and board member of Divine Life Church of Absolute Monism.

Services were planned for 1 p.m. today at the Leonard J. Ruck Funeral Home, Harford Road and Echodale Avenue.

In addition to her husband and sons, she is survived by another son, Vincent Monico Jr. of Baltimore; two brothers, Dr. William Vitale of Cockeysville and Ralph Vitale of Carney; two sisters, Constance M. Dewey and Josephine Bedford, both of Baltimore; and five grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Divine Life Church of Absolute Monism, Building Fund, 5928 Falls Road, Baltimore 21209.

Wilbert G. Martini

Electrical engineer

Wilbert G. Martini, a retired electrical engineer, died Wednesday of heart failure at the Memorial Hospital in Easton. He was 67 and lived in Claiborne. He retired in 1980 after 32 years at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory in White Oak and moved from Dundalk to Claiborne.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of Sparrows Point High School and served in the Navy from 1945 to 1948.

He was a former master of the Granite Lodge of the Masons in St. Michaels, a member of the Dundalk Post of the American Legion, the Dizzy Pleasure Club in Baltimore and the Annapolis Chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons.

Services were planned for 12:30 p.m. today at the Harrison E. Leonard Funeral Home in St. Michaels.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, the former Doris Krantz; a daughter, Cindy L. Kirtly of Baltimore; a son, Guy Martini of Columbia; and two sisters, Dorothy M. Bollack of Dundalk and Gladys M. LeDuc of Mesa, Ariz.

Catherine Mullikin


Catherine W. Mullikin, a nurse in both Easton and Baltimore, died Jan. 25 of pneumonia at Keswick. She was 86.

She had been a part-time, private duty nurse at Union Memorial Hospital until about 10 years ago. In the early 1930s, she had worked at the Memorial Hospital in Easton after graduating from its nursing school.

She was born Catherine Wright in Chestertown and moved to Baltimore after marrying James Clayland Mullikin Sr. He died in 1964.

Graveside services were planned for 11 a.m. today at Spring Hill Cemetery in Easton.

She is survived by a daughter, Patricia Mullikin Shehan of Pittsburgh; a son, James Clayland Mullikin Jr. of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; two brothers, W. Orville Wright of Towson and Morris E. Wright of Saugus, Calif.; and four grandchildren.

Donations may be made to the Easton Memorial Hospital Foundation.

Leon A. Nunnelly, 86, whose renown as a railroad chef was such that he was brought out of retirement to cook for President

Ronald Reagan on a 1980s train trip, died of heart disease Jan. 31 at the Veterans Administration Hospital at Fort Howard.

The longtime Pasadena resident cooked for the Baltimore and Ohio Railway Co. for 40 years before retiring in 1971. He served in northern France as an Army mess sergeant during World War II.

He was a communicant of the Roman Catholic Church of the Crucifixion in Glen Burnie and member of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters.

Services were held Feb. 3. Survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Helen Stafford of Pasadena; five daughters, Jacqueline Lopez of Sykesville, Yvonne Gaither of Pasadena, Catherine Nunnelly of Boston, Virginia Nunnelly of Denver and Carole Redd of Eatontown, N.J.; a son, Leon Nunnelly Jr. of Westminster; 16 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Leo R. Lemaire, 87, a retired professor of languages at Prince George's Community College who also taught at the University of Maryland College Park, died Tuesday of heart failure at his Hyattsville home.

He was a volunteer reader of French books for Recordings for the Blind, a founder of Club Amicale.

A memorial service was planned for noon today in the chapel of the University of Maryland College Park. He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Anne-Marie Hargetsky; a son, Theo E. Lemaire of Cockeysville; a daughter, Anita M. Lemaire of Boston; two sisters, Eleanora Schellitzer of Lausanne, Switzerland, and Margot Bauer-Mengleberg of Buenos Aires, Argentina; and two grandchildren.

John P. Holben, 57, an insurance underwriting supervisor for the Ohio Casualty Group, died Feb. 4 of cancer at his Towson home. A memorial service for the Baltimore native was held Thursday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy J. Zurgable; three sons, Jeffrey P. Holben of Columbia and Scott A. and Christopher J. Holben, both of Baltimore; and his mother, Marian S. Holben, a brother, David S. Holben, and a sister, Sally W. Holben, all of Skaneateles, N.Y.

Gerard W. Kirby, 89, retired senior vice president and head of the mortgage department at what is now the Provident Bank of Maryland, died Monday of cancer at the Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville.

A Mass of Christian burial for the Baltimore native was offered Thursday. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, the former Louise Dorsey; a son, John D. Kirby of Lisbon; two sisters; seven grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren.

James E. Marquis, 78, a retired Social Security Administration official, died Feb. 4 of a heart attack at Howard County General Hospital.

Services for the Ellicott City resident were held Wednesday at Milford Mill United Methodist Church, where memorial donations may be made. He is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Edith Kirsch; a son, William J. Marquis of Baltimore; a daughter, Alice Lynne Notich of Sykesville; and two grandsons.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad