Upset win over No. 11 Annapolis, double sweet for South River

There's a picture taped to the window outside of South River coach Ken Dunn's office with a sketch of a tall bird with a frog dangling from its mouth and the simple caption "don't give up."

No. 11 Annapolis clenched down on the unranked Seahawks last night in Edgewater, but, like the frog, South River didn't give up and the Panthers never had a chance to swallow.


Two last-second shots by Corey Davis and Jay Dine kept South River alive and some turnovers by Annapolis down the stretch enabled the Seahawks to savor a 75-71 double-overtime victory.

The win marked only the second time in the past 19 years that South River (11-3) has defeated the Panthers (10-4), the last coming in 1993, when again, the Seahawks won in two overtime periods.


"I feel very fortunate because that game could have gone either way," said Dunn, who was handing out business cards that said, "Ken B Dunn." "If they get the ball last then they may win. It was just a good high school game. Our kids just gutted it out."

The Seahawks, who have won four overtime games this season, trailed by five after the second and third quarters and tied the game at 48 on a baseline jumper by Dine (24 points) with 5:26 left in regulation.

Annapolis had a chance to end the suspense with Jerry Slocum at the line with 9.4 seconds left, but Slocum's foul shot missed the target and caromed into the hands of Davis, who raced down the floor and hit a three-pointer with 1.5 seconds left to send the game into overtime at 59-59.

"It was do or die," Davis said of his three-pointer that sent the game into overtime. "If I don't hit it we lose and if I do we're going into overtime and I knew we could pull it out. When it left my hand I knew it was going in and after that, everything was falling in for me."

Everything was falling for Davis but his teammates weren't having the same success.

Davis, who finished with a game-high 27 points, scored six of the Seahawks' first eight points in the first overtime but the hosts still found themselves down by a basket with 6.2 seconds left.

After a timeout, South River managed to get the ball down in the paint and after fighting teammate Russell Tongue for the ball, Dine through a shot off the glass with no time remaining to force a second four-minute overtime.

Davis continued to take the ball to straight to the Panthers' hoop with little resistance while South River picked up the pressure of the defensive end and held Annapolis to two foul shots in the final overtime.


"We don't deserve to win when we get chances like that and don't cash in on them," said Annapolis coach John Brady. "We let them off the hook twice. They kept the pressure on and we just didn't execute."

Tongue finished with 17 points for South River and Ronardo Johnson scored a team-high 23 for Annapolis.