George W. BaierShipyard workerGeorge W. Baier, a...


George W. Baier

Shipyard worker

George W. Baier, a shipyard worker, died Monday of severe head injuries at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. He was 59.

He was injured Thursday in an accident at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point shipyard when a mooring line knocked him to the floor of the graving dock, where he was working as part of a crew preparing a barge for sandblasting.

He began his career in the shipyard in 1954 and was formerly supervisor of the paint ship. He worked recently as part of a crew that sandblasted vessels prior to repainting.

The lifelong Middle River resident was a graduate of Kenwood High School. He enjoyed deer hunting and bass fishing.

His marriage ended in divorce.

Services were set for 7:30 p.m. today at the Connelly Funeral Home, 300 Mace Ave., Essex.

He is survived by three sons, Brian, Terry and Keith Baier, all of Middle River; a brother, Ramon Baier of Middle River; two sisters, Dorothy King of Eastpoint and Vickie Dotterweich of Essex; three grandchildren; and a companion, Joan D. Fitz of Middle River.

Dr. Addison W. Pope

Hospital administrator

Dr. Addison W. Pope, a retired psychiatrist who was medical direc- tor of the psychiatric outpatient division of the Liberty Community Mental Health Program at Liberty Medical Center, died Saturday of cancer at his home on Norfolk Avenue. He was 68.

He had been associated with the Northwest Baltimore medical center since 1987 and retired in 1991.

In 1989, he established the Northwest Mental Health Associates Inc., in the 2400 block of Garrison Blvd., for the treatment of inner city residents.

In 1964, he founded the psychiatric center at Provident Hospital and in 1969 was appointed chief of psychiatry there. He also began teaching psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University that same year, a position he held until his death.

Born and reared in Baltimore, he was a 1943 graduate of Douglass High School. He attended Howard University but in 1944 was drafted into the Army and served at Fort McClellan, Ala., as a drill instructor.

He returned to Howard and earned his bachelor's degree in 1948 and his medical degree from Meharry Medical College in 1957. He completed an internship at Provident Hospital in 1958 and a residency at the Psychiatric Institute of the University of Maryland.

Services were set for noon today at Douglas Memorial Community Church, Madison and Lafayette avenues, Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Pauline Humphries; a daughter, Jerilyn D. Pope of Baltimore; a brother, James I. Pope of San Diego; and a sister, Marian Pope of Baltimore. Louise W. Orr, who had been an operating room nurse for many years, died Sunday at the Magnolia Hall Nursing Center in Chestertown, where she had been recuperating from a back injury. She was 77 and lived in Chestertown.

She retired in 1981 from the Kent & Queen Anne's Hospital in Chestertown, where she had worked since 1939.

The former Louise Wright was a native of Tuckahoe Neck in Caroline County and was educated in county schools. In 1938, she graduated from the nursing school at Maryland General Hospital in Baltimore.

Services were set for 1 p.m. today at Christ United Methodist Church in Chestertown.

She is survived by her husband, Carl F. Orr; a son, Robert C. Orr of Easton; a daughter, Peggy O. Tracy of Newark, Del.; a brother, W. Leslie Wright of Hillsboro; and five grandchildren.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad