The two big trends this season are characters in comas ("Beverly Hills 90210," "The X-Files," etc.), and skaters on ice. After two live prime-time specials on CBS comes tonight's two-hour live special on NBC. They're competing for $1 million in cash. CBS is also offersing cash -- Johnny and June Carter Cash, that is, as guests on "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman."
* "The Gold Championship." (8-10 p.m., WMAR, Channel 2) -- The good news about this competition is that it's between only those skaters who already have won Olympic gold medals -- which means no Nancy Kerrigan, no Tonya Harding, no distractions. NBC.
* "How the West Was Fun." (8-10 p.m., WJZ, Channel 13) -- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen star in this telemovie, which includes an on-the-rapids scene and lots of scenes in which twins know best. Martin Mull plays the main villain, Patrick Cassidy the hero, and Peg Phillips from "Northern Exposure" and Michele Greene from "L.A. Law" the sweet ladies. It's awful, but that won't stop it from pleasing millions of young viewers. ABC.
* "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman." (8-9 p.m., WBAL, Channel 11) -- Johnny and June Carter Cash play a newly married couple whose stagecoach is ambushed. CBS.
* "Saturday Night Live." (11:30 p.m.-1 a.m., WMAR, Channel 2) -- If this week's show has a fraction of the sense of humor displayed by the promos, featuring guest host John Turturro and musical guest Tom Petty, this may be the season's best outing to date. NBC.
* "Addams Family Values." (8-9:35 p.m., HBO) -- This is the cable premiere of the sequel film, which, like its predecessor, can be appreciated anew for the work by the late Raul Julia.
* "How the Grinch Stole Christmas Special Edition." (8-9 p.m., TNT) -- As part of its season-long Dr. Seuss celebration, TNT offers a complete version of the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" special, followed by a special feature on its production history.
* "Pinup." (10-11 p.m., SHO) -- This one-hour special about beauty pinups is missing one thing that makes it different from the original source: staples.