Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

Police charge city man in decapitation of Gypsy


An East Baltimore man was charged this morning with decapitating a fortune teller who was the matriarch of a powerful Gypsy family in Baltimore and whose advice he had sought in the past.

Douglas Thomas Clark, 28, of the 2200 block of E. Lombard St., was charged with first-degree murder in connection with yesterday's slaying of Deborah Stevens, which jolted a clan that traces its Baltimore heritage to the turn of the century.

Officer Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman, said investigators had not recovered a weapon and knew of no motive. They were checking reports from one man who claimed to see Ms. Stevens and a man arguing outside the house about 9:30 a.m. yesterday.

Mr. Clark was taken into custody two hours after a family member found the body of Deborah Stevens, 62, who had worked as a palm reader and fortune teller out of her Pulaski Highway house for three decades.

"Apparently, he has seen Ms. Stevens in the past for her consultation," the police spokesman said. "We do not know the nature of his visit on the day Ms. Stevens was murdered."

Police said the man had been captured after a failed suicide attempt. He was questioned throughout the night at Johns Hopkins Hospital and police headquarters.

Ms. Stevens was a revered and respected member of what once was the most powerful Gypsy band in the nation.

Known to give refuge to caravans of Gypsies who follow carnivals up and down the East Coast, she was related to King Dick Stevens, a national Gypsy leader who operated a Cherry Hill coppersmith shop from the 1920s until his death in 1959.

"They are in turmoil right now," said Preston Pairo Jr., a lawyer who represents the Stevens family. "It's a great loss to them.

"Right now they are unhappy because somebody killed one of their leaders."

As word spread of the brutal slaying at Ms. Stevens' home and office in the 4000 block of Pulaski Highway, carloads of grief-stricken family members and friends pulled into a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot next door and watched as homicide detectives scoured the scene for clues.

A dozen relatives filled the small doughnut shop, grabbing each other for comfort and talking in their own language -- a mixture of Romanian, Middle-Eastern and Indian dialects -- as they peered through rain-streaked windows at the two-story red brick house that Ms. Stevens lived in for 30 years. A sign out front reads, "Psychic Reader and Adviser: Sister Myra."

"You want to say something nice?" one family member shouted at a reporter. "Find the guy who did this. If we had an idea, we'd go get him."

Police said the suspect apparently tried to commit suicide yesterday morning by jumping in front of an Amtrak train near East Biddle and Washington streets.

Howard Robertson, an Amtrak spokesman, said rail police went to the location about 11:15 a.m. after an engineer of a southbound Metroliner headed to Washington from New York reported that he may have hit a man on the tracks.

Officers saw the man, Mr. Robertson said, and chased him to Chester and East Biddle streets, where he twice tried to dive under a moving police cruiser. The suspect was arrested and turned over to Baltimore police.

The police spokesman said the suspect made "unsolicited statements to medical personnel while he was being treated for his injuries" that prompted them to call police.

Officer Weinhold said that the suspect declined to give police a statement, but was charged based on the statements he made at Johns Hopkins and evidence recovered from the suspect and at the house of the victim. He would not elaborate.

A family member discovered the woman's body about 9:30 a.m. in the living room near the front door.

Officer Weinhold said the woman most likely had been decapitated early yesterday.

Two panes of a living room window had been broken, and crime lab technicians could be seen dusting for prints around the broken frame. Detectives had the front storm door removed and taken to police headquarters.

Mr. Pairo said the apparent motive was robbery, police said they were investigating all possibilities.

Ms. Stevens, who moved into the house about 30 years ago, has lived alone since her husband died in 1979. Many members of the Stevens family are in the fortune-telling business, and own several such shops in Baltimore city and county.

"She was a loner," Mr. Pairo said, adding that there are about 150 Gypsies living in Baltimore. He said the Stevenses are the largest of three families in the city. "She was a grand old lady. She was revered highly and was respected by everybody -- loved and adored."

Ms. Stevens was a relative of King Dick Stevens, who died in his Eutaw Street home in 1959 at the age of 72. He moved to Baltimore at the turn of the century and became a citizen in 1904.

Until his death, he led an estimated 10,000 Gypsies from around the nation, and the Stevens clan was considered the most powerful in the United States.

"Dick was the king of kings," The Sun quoted a Gypsy leader from New York and New England in 1959. "There can never be another one like him."

His funeral was an elaborate spectacle that drew hordes of curious onlookers as the hearse, trailed by 20 cars of Gypsy followers, made its way through the streets of Baltimore to the Holy Trinity Russian Independent Orthodox Church and on to Western Cemetery.

Mr. Pairo said Ms. Stevens was one of the oldest women in the tribe, and was respected as an elder.

Funeral plans were incomplete yesterday, and Mr. Pairo said family members were discussing what kind of service to hold.

Neighbors said Ms. Stevens lived a quiet life, and they described cars with out-of-state license plates frequently stopping by.

Gary Lehnhoff, owner of Lehnhoff's Exxon, down the street from Ms. Stevens' house, said she has known the family of the slain woman for 20 years.

"I've seen them at carnivals -- they mostly run games, you know with water balloons and squirt guns," he said. "They come over here and buy gasoline or borrow an air tank once in a while. They're pretty neighborly."

Eva Sain, 87, who lives across the street, said she only knew Ms. Stevens in passing, once when they met on the street and another time when she baby-sat her goldfish when Ms. Stevens went on vacation.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad