Home prices rose 0.5% in South Atlantic region
Three regions showed decreases. On the West Coast, prices were down 0.7 percent; New England, down 0.4 percent; and Middle Atlantic (New York, New Jersey and New York), down 0.2 percent.
The national average price increase was 0.9 percent.
The index -- developed by Fannie Mae (Federal National Mortgage Association) and Freddie Mac (Federal Home Mortgage Corp.) -- tracks the prices of homes over time.
O'Conor, Piper & Flynn opens office in Easton
O'Conor, Piper & Flynn Realtors has opened its 39th Maryland office in Easton. The company also has three offices in southern Pennsylvania and two in Delaware.
The new office will serve Queen Anne's, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester and Kent counties.
Piper Murphy, who has lived and worked in the area since 1972, will be the sales manager of the office at 125 Victoria West.
Mortgage calculator offered on Sundial
The Sun has introduced a new mortgage loan calculator on its Sundial service.
By dialing 783-1800, then entering the code 0030, callers can find out the monthly payment for various loans. Callers must enter the loan amount, term and interest rate, and Sundial will provide the monthly payment, which includes principal and interest.
NEWS IN BRIEF
* American Woodmark Corp., a Winchester, Va. manufacturer of kitchen cabinets and vanities, has been named "Divisional Vendor of the Year, Home Decor" for 1993-1994 by Builders Square. A Kmart Corp. subsidiary, Builders Square has 184 retail home improvement centers in 24 states and Puerto Rico.
* Chapel Valley Landscape Co. employees raised more than $2,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in the recent JDF "Walk For The Cure."
* Chapel Valley Landscape Co. said J. Landon Reeve IV, company president, has been named to the Long Range Planning Committee of the American Association of Nurserymen. Reeve has served as president of the Maryland Nurserymen's Association, Associated Landscape Contractors of America and the Landscape Contractors Association D.C.-MD.-VA. He is a member of the ALCA national board of governors which is developing a national certification program for landscape professionals.
* The Chesapeake Region Chapter of Community Associations Institute is inviting area condominium and homeowners associations to compete for the group's "Community Association the Year Award." Information: (301) 249-1377.
* The Enterprise Loan Fund, a provider of low-cost financing to nonprofit, low-income housing developers, received $100,000 from the Calvert Social Investment Fund and the Calvert World Values Fund.
* Century 21 Kayhouse Realty recently held a flea market and craft sale at its Fitch Avenue office, raising $1,000 for the Ronald McDonald House.
ON THE MOVE
* Century 21 Farley & Associates announced that Frank Baamonde, formerly with O'Conor Piper & Flynn, has joined the Joppa real estate agency as a sales associate.
* Consumer First Mortgage of Frederick has named Karen Friedman assistant vice president.
* First Town Mortgage Corp. of Secaucus, N.J., has named George A. Resta vice president and Middle Atlantic regional manager. Mr. Resta comes to First Town from Margaretten & Co., where he was senior vice president and regional manager. First Town's Middle Atlantic region includes offices in Annapolis, Baltimore, Rockville, Silver Spring and Fairfax, Va.
* Gilbert D. Marsiglia & Co. of Lutherville has added James McDonald Hossbach as an associate. He will specialize in residential, land and investment properties.