Match after match, Laura Cook (Chesapeake-Baltimore County) delivers for Penn State's volleyball team.
Invariably named tournament Most Valuable Player, Cook leads Penn State in kills (177) and is second in digs (152). In one seven-day period, she had three 20-plus kill performances as the No. 3 Nittany Lions raised their record to 14-1 and moved into a tie for the Big Ten lead.
Wide receiver Antonio Freeman (Poly) has 14 catches for 238 yards and a touchdown in five games for Virginia Tech. Last year as a junior, Freeman broke the Big East Conference single-game record for receiving yards with 194 against Temple and was named to the all-conference second team.
* Sophomore reserve quarterback Joe Unitas (St. Paul), son of Hall of Famer John Unitas, caught a two-point conversion pass RTC from linebacker Andy Shackelford to trigger Ohio Wesleyan's 35-0 victory over Oberlin.
* Sophomore defensive tackle David Sunderland had four tackles in Lehigh's loss to Cornell, raising his season's total to 11, including nine solo.
* At Delaware, senior Mike Sye (Woodlawn) is competing for the starting strong safety spot and playing on special teams. Chad DuBeau (Severna Park), a 6-foot-4, 259-pound freshman, is the No. 3 offensive right tackle.
* Senior kicker Daniel Whitehead (Damascus) is second on Liberty's career points list with 186, seven shy of leader Charles McCray.
* Freshman Wayne Rumsey (Oxon Hill) is 13-for-13 in extra points for Gettysburg and has a 28-yard field goal. He leads the Centennial Conference in kicking points with 16.
* Freshman defensive back Wesley Johnson (Largo) got Robert Morris off and running in its fourth straight victory, over Gannon, when he blocked a first-quarter punt and ran 10 yards for a score.
* UCLA sophomore linebacker Brent Guyton (Wilde Lake) has 10 tackles in two games. Playing behind two seniors at the inside linebacker spots, Guyton is expected to move into the starting lineup next year.
Senior Pat Rodriguez helped William and Mary win the Cavalier Invitational and the Morven Park Invitational by finishing 18th and eighth, respectively, in fields of more than 100 runners. Rodriguez is among the school's top four runners.
Gettysburg senior Jennifer Kline (Franklin) was named to the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association Division III Academic Squad with a 3.2-plus grade-point average.
Freshman Geoff Warren (Arundel), one of Columbia's top five cross country runners, contributed to the Lions' 12th-place finish in the 20-team Boston College Invitational. . . . Annapolis resident Scott Allan (Hill School) helped Georgetown's sailing team qualify for the MAISA Sloop Championships by finishing second to Navy in eliminations. . . . Sophomore Natalie Thinglestad (Dulaney) contributed a goal to Georgetown's first field hockey victory of the season, 3-0 over Towson State.