Sophomore forward Shane Dougherty (Fallston) scored on a penalty kick 28 minutes into the first half to lead Maryland over Wake Forest, 1-0, in men's soccer before 1,120 yesterday in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Maryland (7-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) held the Demon Deacons (7-3, 0-2) to one shot in the first half, but was outshot 9-1 in the second half.
Wake Forest's Thor Dotsenko almost tied the game with less than two minutes left, but his free kick from just outside the penalty box sailed over the crossbar.
* Loyola 1, Clemson 0: Will Cirrincione scored with 15:31 left in the first half as Loyola (8-1-2) defeated host Clemson (4-6) in the second round of the Clemson Tournament.
Zach Thornton (John Carroll) had five saves for his seventh shutout of the season and 24th of his career.
* Loyola 3, Iona 2: Mary Sheridan scored the game-winner off an assist by Sarah Matthews 2:43 into the second half as Loyola (5-5, 4-1) edged Iona (2-7, 1-1) in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
* Maryland 1, Duke 1, 2OT: Freshman Melissa Panasci scored with 27:19 left as Duke tied visiting Maryland, which scored on Laura Harmon's first-half goal.
* Villa Julie 2, Wesley 0: Goalie Krista Oliver made six saves to lead visiting Villa Julie (3-3) over Wesley.
* Goucher 1, Kean 0: Chrissy Gzajkowski scored the game-winner midway through the first half as host Goucher (9-1) beat Kean (4-4-1).