29 treated for exposure to fumes at store


Twenty-nine people were taken to area hospitals yesterday after products in an eastern Baltimore County warehouse store reacted with each other and produced hazardous fumes, police said.

Most of the complaints were of eye and throat irritations. But some victims were treated for symptoms that included chest pains and shortness of breath.

Employees at Sam's Club store in the 8200 block of Eastern Blvd. noticed a strong odor of chlorine in the store and called 911 about 9:30 a.m. When police and firefighters arrived shortly before 10 a.m., the store was evacuated and closed for several hours.

Police said the hazardous fumes were caused by battery acid, chlorine flakes and a laundry cleaner stored too closely together and interacting.

Five people were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, 13 to Franklin Square Hospital Center and 11 to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Most patients were released within a few hours, but two people were being held at Johns Hopkins and one at Bayview for observation. Their injuries were not thought to be serious, officials said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad