Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Randallstown shoot-out leaves 2 dead


Baltimore County police had a suspect under guard at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and were seeking at least three others today in connection with the fatal shootings of two men in Randallstown last night.

Police identified the dead men as Christopher Payne Sr., 29, a resident of a house in the 3900 block of Shenton Road, and Gary Dickens, 30, of the 3600 block of W. Belvedere Ave. in Baltimore.

The shootings occurred shortly before 10 p.m. at Mr. Payne's house in the Wildwoods subdivision, near Deer Park Elementary and Junior High Schools.

Mr. Payne's wife, another woman and a child coming into the house were forced inside by several men, including one who had a handgun, said Lt. Richard Landsman of the Garrison Precinct.

Police said they believe Mr. Payne knew the men and allowed them to enter shortly before the women arrived. No signs of forced entry were found.

Moments after the women and child entered the house, Lieutenant Landsman said, gunfire erupted between an intruder and Mr. Payne.

The intruders then fled. Neither the women nor the child were wounded, police said.

One of the women called the police and requested an ambulance.

When officers arrived, they found one man dead in the foyer and another lying on stairs leading to the second floor.

Police said the women were not cooperating with the investigation.

A handgun was recovered from the house.

While police were investigating the deaths, a husband and wife delivering pizzas on nearby Branchleigh Road reported that several men stole their silver 1984 Nissan with Maryland tags ATT 402 while they were out of the car.

Lieutenant Landsman said that the thieves were believed to be the same men involved in the shootings.

At the house, police were awaiting a search warrant to seek evidence in connection with the shootings when they learned from city police that a man being treated at Shock Trauma for a gunshot wound to the leg may have been involved.

County police went to Shock Trauma, where the man told them he had been at Eutaw and Lexington streets.

Police found no evidence of a shooting there, however, but learned later that the wounded man had arrived in the city via the Metro line from Owings Mills.

"We think he's involved in the shooting and we have a guard on him," said Lieutenant Landsman.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad