25 Years Ago (Week of July 13-19, 1969):
* The building which served as Howard County's first court house is scheduled to be razed as part of the Fels Lane area renewal project. The building had served as the county's seat of government from 1840 to 1843, while the original portion of the existing Circuit Court building was under construction. The three-story, 18-by-30-foot stone building is home to a family of 10. (This building stands today near Main Street and Ellicott Mills Drive, adjacent to the parking lot behind the fire house.)
50 Years Ago (Week of July 16-22, 1944):
* The West Friendship Homemakers Club met at the home of Mrs. John Redmond. Mrs. Wilbur Connell demonstrated a method of making bias binding, and Mrs. Redmond displayed a bedspread made from feed sacks.
* It was announced that Japanese beetle traps, complete with bait, could be rented for the season for a small fee. The traps could be obtained from the sales showroom at Miller Chevrolet in Ellicott City.
Information for this column was compiled by Diane Mullaly from the Howard County Historical Society library.