Kitchen blaze doused in Taneytown house


Katharine Groshon was hanging laundry outside her house in the 2000 block of Keysville-Bruceville Road near Taneytown late yesterday morning when she saw wisps of smoke coming from the back of a house two doors down.

At first, Mrs. Groshon said, she thought it might have been a malfunctioning air conditioner. But her husband, Jim, who was mowing the lawn, decided to call the Fire Department anyway.

just looked like there was something smoldering in there," Mr. Groshon said.

When they arrived, Taneytown firefighters were able almost immediately to extinguish the fire, which had started in the kitchen, fire officials said.

Taneytown Fire Capt. Willie Wildasin said that while the burning was limited to the kitchen, other parts of the house sustained smoke damage. It was not immediately known who lives in the house.

Firefighters, including units from Taneytown, Union Bridge, Harney and Frederick County, spent more than two hours at the scene using fans to remove smoke and cool the house.


Taneytown: Taneytown units responded to a car fire in the first block of E. Baltimore St. at 2:25 p.m. yesterday. They were out for 16 minutes.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad