* SHOOTING: Eastern District -- Police were seeking a gunman who shot an East Baltimore man five times during an argument in the 1200 block of N. Broadway early yesterday. The victim was shot in both legs, once in the chest and twice in the back. He was in serious condition at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
* THEFT: Western District -- A compact disc player and a school ring, all valued at nearly $400, were stolen from a car parked in the 800 block of W. Baltimore St. Wednesday.
* THEFT: Western District -- A buffer machine valued at $300 and the property of Mercer's Cleaning Service was stolen from a 1980 Dodge truck parked Wednesday in the 1800 block of W. Lafayette Ave.
* THEFT: Northwestern District -- A battery, valued at more than $60, was stolen from a car parked in the 2900 block of Liberty Heights Ave. Wednesday.
* BURGLARY: Northeastern District -- A pair of prescription eyeglasses, $75 and a set of keys from a purse were stolen Wednesday from a house in the 3700 block of Ednor Road.The intruder also stole the occupant's 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity with Maryland tags RFD 864.
* ATTEMPTED RAPE: Northern District -- Police were seeking a man who attempted to rape a woman at knifepoint in the rear yard of a house in the 2200 block of St. Paul St. Wednesday. During the attempt, the woman kicked and screamed, causing the man to flee.
* STOLEN CAR: Northern District -- A two-door 1986 Plymouth with Maryland tags ZXT 742 was stolen Wednesday from the 1200 block of Union Ave.
* STOLEN CAR: Northern District -- A 1993 Dodge with Maryland tags APV 909 was stolen from the 2300 block of Flax Terrace Wednesday.
* ROBBERY: Parkville Precinct -- A man robbed the Provident Bank of Maryland in the 4100 block of E. Joppa Road of an undisclosed sum of money Wednesday. After telling a bank employee he wanted to open an account, the man pulled out a handgun and demanded money. He escaped on foot.
* BURGLARY: Towson Precinct -- A 24-inch 12-speed bike valued at less than $100 was stolen Wednesday from a garage in the 6900 block of Kenleigh Road.
Police Blotter is a representative, not comprehensive, list of crimes in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, reported by Richard Irwin.