Robert S. Klepper
Robert S. Klepper, president of a firm that provides financing for small businesses in Baltimore, died Saturday of cancer at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 52.
He headed the Mid-Atlantic Certified Development Co., which does business as the Mid-Atlantic Business Finance Co. The firm, which he joined in 1982, is certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
From 1982 until 1985, he was also associated with the National Development Council, an economic development consulting company that works with local governments and small businesses.
From 1974 until 1982, he had been a consultant to the Baltimore Department of Housing and Community Development, first on the development of the Oldtown Mall and later on other commercial revitalization projects. Earlier, he had worked for the Carey Machinery Co. and briefly owned a sign-making business before joining HCD.
The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and attended the University of Maryland College Park.
From 1970 until 1978, he lived in the Mount Vernon area, and he had been president of the Mount Vernon Belvedere Improvement Association.
His community work earned him both a 1977 mayoral citation that described him as "single-handedly creating the renewed spirit in Mount Vernon-Belvedere" and Robert S. Klepper Day in Baltimore on Jan. 28, 1978.
He had been a member of the board of directors of the Baltimore City Fair and was coordinator of volunteers for the 1974 fair.
In 1981, he bought Sunnyside, an 18th-century home in East New Market in Dorchester County on the Eastern Shore, and he and his wife, the former Paula McIntyre, began restoring it. They made the home their permanent residence in 1988.
Services were set for 9 a.m. today at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Annapolis.
In addition to his wife, survivors include a son, Scott C. Klepper of Glyndon; and his father, Howard S. Klepper, and a brother, Richard C. Klepper, both of Sherwood Forest. Margaret S. Bond, who had been active in church and community work, died Sunday of leukemia at the Blakehurst Life Care Community in Towson. She was 77 and had moved to Blakehurst from Elkridge Estates last September.
She had been a member of the administrative board and the United Methodist Women at Grace United Methodist Church. She also had served on the board of governors and as a committee chairman of the Woman's Club of Roland Park. In 1952, she headed the women's auxiliary that was being organized by the Heart Association of Maryland.
She was also a member of the Salvation Army auxiliary, the Maryland Society of Crippled Children and Adults, the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Women's Board of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Keswick Board of Volunteers.
The former Margaret Scott, a native of Baltimore, attended Friends School. Her husband, M. Nelson Bond Jr., died in 1990.
A memorial service was to be held at 1:30 p.m. today at Grace United Methodist Church, 5407 N. Charles St.
She is survived by four daughters, Katherine B. Allen of Loch Raven Village, Linda B. Verdery of Richmond, Va., and Margaret B. Wittich and Barbara B. Klair, both of Baltimore; a son, M. Nelson Bond III of Baltimore; a brother, Dr. John M. Scott of Baltimore; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Dr. Howard B. Mays
Dr. Howard Brooks Mays, who had been a urologist in Baltimore for many years, died July 12 of cancer at his home in Rock Hall.
Dr. Mays, who was 82, moved to Rock Hall after his retirement in 1983. His home was on Langford Creek.
He had practiced in Baltimore since the 1940s and in 1948 developed new surgical techniques to repair congenital malformations of the genitourinary tract.
He was a former president of the Mid-Atlantic Region of the American Urological Association and of the University of Maryland Medical Alumni Association.
Also, he was a member of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, the American Medical Association, the Lister Society and the Splint Club.
Born in Sparrows Point, he was a graduate of Towson High School, the University of Maryland and the university's medical school.
He served an internship at University Hospital and then did graduate study of urologic surgery in a residency at Boston City Hospital.
During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in the 142nd General Hospital, which was staffed by the University of Maryland. He left the Army as a lieutenant colonel.
Private services were planned.
He is survived by his wife, the former Beatrice Hoddinott; a son, Howard B. Mays Jr. of Rosedale; a daughter, Sally Mays Kutzer of Baltimore; a brother, George P. Mays Jr. of Thurmont; a sister, Sara Jane Mays Cockey of Lutherville; and three grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to the Dr. and Mrs. Howard B. Mays Lectureship Fund on the History of Medicine and Medical Ethics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Attn: Development Office, Bressler Building, 14-002, 655 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore 21201.
Miriam Ross McGarvey deRussy, homemaker and volunteer, died Monday of a stroke at her residence in the Blakehurst Life Care Community on West Joppa Road. She was 84.
Born and reared in Kansas City, Mo., she was educated there and abroad in French schools.
In 1938, she married Edward N. deRussy and the couple made their home for nearly 40 years on Club Road in Ruxton. Mr. deRussy is a retired Baltimore lawyer and representative of West Publishing Co., legal publishers.
She was a member of the Women's Board of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and a volunteer at the Maryland School for the Blind and the Maryland School for the Deaf.
"Her main preoccupation in life was working with the Women's Board," Mr. deRussy said.
She was also a member of the Junior League, the Society of Colonial Dames and the L'Hirondelle Club.
A memorial service is set for 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Boyce and Carrollton avenues, Ruxton.
Other survivors include two sons, Cary deRussy of Lutherville and John W. deRussy of Towson; and two grandsons.
Memorial donations may be made to the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine, 1620 McElderry St., Room 1109, Baltimore 21205.
Marie Fowler Smith
Continental Can worker
Marie Fowler Smith, a longtime employee of Continental Can Co. in East Baltimore, died at her home Monday after a brief illness. She was 76.
The Baltimore native, who attended city public schools, worked at Continental Can for 30 years.
She was married for 39 years to Melvin Smith, who survives her.
She was a longtime member of Waters AME Church in East Baltimore, where she was a pastor's aide and sang in the gospel choir.
She was Maryland president of the Gayette Society Club.
Services were to be held at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow at Waters AME Church, 417 Aisquith St. Internment will be Friday at Arbutus Memorial Park.
Other survivors include two daughters, Doris Singletary and Estella Kaintuck; a son, John Fowler; a sister, Hattie Blanton; a brother, Andrew Hall; a son-in-law, David Kaintuck; two stepdaughters, Barbara Humphries and Doris Jones; six grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren. All are of Baltimore.
Jane O'Meara Weibel
Notre Dame alumna
Jane O'Meara Weibel, who was active in the alumnae of what is now Notre Dame Preparatory School, died Sunday at Howard County General Hospital of complications after surgery. She was 63 and lived in Ellicott City.
She had been the alumnae representative of the Class of 1948 at Notre Dame since her graduation.
The Baltimore native was also a graduate of the Cathedral School and studied voice and piano at the Peabody Institute in the early 1940s.
She later sang with a group of members of the Sodality at St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church in Catonsville.
She had done secretarial work for the Allied Chemical Co. before her marriage in 1953 to Richard C. Weibel, who survives her.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church, 4416 Wilkens Ave., near the city line.
Other survivors include four daughters, Carolyn D. Weibel of Relay, Jennifer A. McElgunn of Catonsville, Mary Elaine Hughes of Baltimore and Margaret J. Ziegler of Columbia; three sons, John G. Weibel III of Finksburg, Matthew R. Weibel of Mifflinburg, Pa., and Bruce E. Weibel of Laurel; four brothers, James E. O'Meara Jr. of Glyndon, John M. O'Meara of Timonium and Joseph P. and Jerome T. O'Meara, both of Baltimore; and eight grandchildren.