If you don't have cable TV, today you have to do without the World Cup semifinals and HBO's two stellar sitcoms. What you would get instead are two network first-run shows: one in which the cartoon characters act like people, and one in which the people act like cartoons.
* "The Critic" (8:30 p.m.-9 p.m., WJZ, Channel 13) -- On tonight's episode, Jay (voiced by Jon Lovitz) abruptly quits his show -- much as Garry Shandling's Larry Sanders did last season -- and dives into an alternate lifestyle. Larry went to Montana; Jay takes to the open road, behind the wheel of a big rig. ABC.
* "Models Inc." (9 p.m.-10 p.m., WBFF, Channel 45) -- It's episode XTC three of "Models Inc.," where men are pigs, women are swans and the twain often meet. That may not make much sense -- but so far, neither does "Models Inc." Fox.
* "World Cup Soccer: Italy vs. Bulgaria" (4 p.m.-conclusion, ESPN) -- Italy has won its last two games in the final minutes, both times with gutsy goals by Roberto Baggio. Bulgaria, which has notched one upset after another, most recently rallied with quick back-to-back goals to defeat Germany, the defending World Cup champions. This may be one of the most exciting games of the 1994 World Cup -- and since it's on a weekday, ESPN, not ABC, has it.
* "World Cup Soccer: Brazil vs. Sweden" (7:30 p.m.-conclusion, ESPN) -- Speaking of exciting, soccer doesn't get much more thrilling than the penalty shootout, tie-breaking victory Sweden scored over Bulgaria. Now Sweden has to face Brazil, which defeated the U.S. team but lost one of its key players in the process.
* "'Moon Shot" (8:05 p.m.-10:05 p.m., TBS) -- Second of two parts. This space-program documentary will conclude tonight, with so much footage and inside information that its dramatic excesses can be forgiven.
* "Dream On" (10 p.m.-10:30 p.m., HBO) -- The best-written "Dream On" this season, this episode has to do with a death in the family -- and gives Renee Taylor another funny guest-starring role.
* "The Larry Sanders Show" (10:30 p.m.-11 p.m., HBO) -- Janeane Garofalo, who was showcased in "Reality Bites," bites off another good role in this week's show, which features her prominently.