Around the house
* If clothes were left in dryer too long, remove wrinkles by turning on tumble-dry cycle; when cycle is over, remove clothes immediately.
* Spray toss pillows and cushions that are used outdoors but are not weather resistant with a soil repellent. The treated fabric will be more resistant to soil and spilled drinks.
* Rearrange inside of refrigerator. Avoid stacking food and crowding small spaces. Do not overload shelves with warm foods. Air must be able to circulate.
* Save leftover pickle juice and add sliced cucumbers, carrots and other vegetables to marinate them. Serve the vegetables as a snack or mixed in salads.
* Launder towels frequently. Rinse thoroughly because soap and detergent may weaken fibers. Avoid using fabric softeners regularly -- they reduce absorbency.
* Make disposable funnels from tops of plastic liter soda bottles. Cut off the top 3 or 4 inches of empty bottles and use in the kitchen, garden or workshop.
In the garden
* Use a turkey baster instead of an oil can to pour oil into hard-to-reach oil filter cap of lawn mower.
* When gardening, avoid tracking mud and dirt into the house. Keep a supply of plastic grocery bags -- which can be slipped over shoes-- by the door.