Man arrested after hatchet attack


A homeless man with a hatchet critically injured another man yesterday during an argument in front of Lexington Market, then led police on a foot chase before he was arrested, authorities said.

The victim, Donald Adams, 32, of the 700 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. suffered a deep wound to his left jaw and throat in the 8 a.m. attack, police said.

He was listed in critical condition yesterday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

From the market, in the 200 block of N. Eutaw St., police chased the suspect east on Lexington Street, south on Howard Street and east on Marion Street, a streetbehind the Greyhound bus station, where he was arrested. He was identified as Jerry Pugh, 40.

He was charged with attempted murder, assault by cutting and possession of a deadly weapon, police said. He was being held last night at the Central District lockup.

Officer G. X. Eames, of the Central District, said a small hatchet, believed to have been used in the attack, was found behind a trash bin near the bus terminal.

Mr. Adams staggered south on Eutaw and collapsed a block away at the corner of Fayette Street.

It was the third incident in nine days near the market in which people were killed or critically injured.

Early Monday, 15 to 20 people fired into a crowd at the corner of Fayette and Eutaw streets, wounding five, two critically.

On June 27, a gunman killed one man and wounded another when he opened fire on a car parked at Lexington and Eutaw streets. The 4 a.m. shooting occurred as several hundred people were milling about.

Police say crowds of teen-agers and young adults routinely gather near the market after bars and clubs close for the night.

Joe Markowitz, who works at Bayside Seafood, near the corner of Eutaw and Fayette, said the area is deteriorating.

"It's scary," he said, as he watched detectives at the crime scene. "We take our lives in our hands when we walk from our car to the store. . . . What are we supposed to do, close up? This is supposed to the world-famous Lexington Market."

Officer Eames said witnesses to yesterday's attack told police that the two men were arguing on the steps in front of A Taste of China restaurant when one of them assaulted the other with the hatchet.

"We don't know what the argument was over yet," Officer Eames said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad