Eva Lorden Shaw, a former music teacher and organist and choir director at several area churches, died Saturday of cancer at her West Joppa Road residence. She was 74.
She started playing the piano as a child and studied at the Peabody Institute Preparatory Department. After graduating from Towson High School in 1938, she continued her education at the Peabody Conservatory of Music.
She was later a faculty member in Peabody's preparatory department and directed the Peabody Junior Choir. After teaching during the day, she worked as an inspector on the night shift at Bendix Radio in Towson during World War II.
She was described by a former student, Letitia Weise of Catonsville, as a "highly energized person."
"She was well-prepared in her field and had an energy that kept you interested and pulled you in. She was always willing to go out of her way to give her students help and assistance," Ms. Weise said.
After the war, Mrs. Shaw quit teaching and worked for nearly 40 years as a secretary and nurse to her physician husband, Charles E. Shaw Jr., an internist whom she married in 1943. Dr. Shaw, who survives her, retired in 1991.
For many years, Mrs. Shaw was organist and choir director at Park Community Evangelical Reformed Church in Forest Park and the Church of the Good Shepherd in Ruxton. She was director of music at Trinity Episcopal Church in Towson, retiring from that post in the late 1970s.
She was a longtime member of and performer with the Baltimore Music Club. She had been president of the group. She was a supporter of the Baltimore Opera Company and attended the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
She was a gardener and often entertained at home. A son, Harry L. Shaw of Towson, described her as a "woman who could walk into a room full of people she didn't know and become their friends. She was a cheerful and entertaining person."
Services will be held at 7 p.m. tomorrow at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 3695 Rogers Ave., Ellicott City.
Other survivors include another son, Charles E. Shaw III of Ellicott City; a brother, Harry F. Lorden of Hagerstown; and two granddaughters.
Memorial donations may be made to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center Foundation, Hospice of Baltimore, 6701 N. Charles St., Towson 21204.