George A. SnyderConstruction workerGeorge A. Snyder, a...


George A. Snyder

Construction worker

George A. Snyder, a self-employed construction worker, died June 24 of cancer at the Fairview Nursing Home in Lewisberry, Pa. The former Catonsville resident was 55.

After attending Catonsville High School, he joined the Army in 1958. He served in Korea as a communications specialist and ended his tour of duty in 1962.

He lived in Etters, Pa., and in his leisure time enjoyed bass fishing.

He is survived by his son, Steven Snyder of Baltimore; three brothers, James A. Snyder of Strasburg, Pa., Robert L. Snyder of Melbourne, Fla., and Herbert R. Snyder of Baltimore; and a close friend, Pat Frayre.

The family suggested memorial donations to Professional Hospice Care, 3605 Vartan Way, Harrisburg, Pa. 17106.

A memorial service was held Wednesday at the Beaver-Eurich Funeral Home in Lewisberry, with interment in Mount Rose Cemetery in York, Pa.

Andrew J. Ramult

Steel worker

Andrew J. "Henry" Ramult, a retired steel worker, died of heart failure May 31 at St. Joseph Hospital. He was 77.

He was born and reared in Highlandtown and left school in the seventh grade to go to work to help support his family. He worked briefly at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant.

In 1941, he joined Rustless Iron. He retired from Armco Steel, a successor company, in 1979.

"He was well-known by the steel workers for his Polish hot dogs and sauerkraut," said Tina Broyles, a daughter who lives in Baltimore. "He used to get to work early in the morning to make the coffee and get the hot dogs ready."

He also is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Geraldine Kolarik; a son, Andrew J. Ramult Jr.; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. All are of Baltimore.

The family suggested donations to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 43025, Baltimore 21236-0025.

A memorial Mass was offered June 11.

Sharon Lee Miller

Arundel teacher

Sharon Lee Miller, a second-grade teacher at Edgewood Elementary School in Anne Arundel County, died June 28 of cancer at her home in Edgewater. She was 48.

She had taught at Edgewood for six years. Before that, she taught kindergarten at Crofton Elementary School.

In the 1970s, she was a substitute kindergarten teacher at Davidsonville Elementary School.

Born Sharon Lee Davis in Easton, she was a 1963 graduate of Easton Senior High School. In 1967 she received a bachelor's degree from what is now Frostburg State University. She earned a master's degree in early childhood education from Bowie State College eight years ago.

Mrs. Miller was an avid golf and bridge player. She also enjoyed traveling, including vacations at Lake Tahoe, Hawaii and Bermuda.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Friday at Holy Family Catholic Church in Davidsonville.

She is survived by her husband of 24 years, John David Miller; a son, Gregory Allan Miller of College Park; and a daughter, Shelly Lynne Miller of Edgewater.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Sherry Miller Memorial Fund, Edgewater Elementary School, 121 Washington Road, Edgewater 21037.

Natalie Dill Waldman

Operated marina

Natalie Dill Waldman, who with her husband operated the Miles River Marina and a restaurant in St. Michaels, died June 20 of cardiac respiratory failure at the William Hill Manor Health Center in Easton.

Born and reared on Wilkens Avenue in Southwest Baltimore, she was the daughter of Dr. Philip Gustav Dill, whose medical offices were across Union Square from the home of writer H. L. Mencken, a family friend.

She was the granddaughter of Philip Guckes, a prominent furniture carver whose work was displayed in the windows of many Charles Street stores.

She was a 1927 graduate of Western High School and studied at the University of Baltimore before she became secretary to A. D. Anderson, owner and founder of the Anderson Chevrolet Co., a dealership.

In 1948, she married Allen C. Waldman, an architect. In 1963, jTC they purchased the Miles River Marina in St. Michaels and opened the harbor's first restaurant. Mr. Waldman died in 1983.

After his death, Mrs. Waldman sold the marina and became a real estate agent with the Easton firm Sharp & Critchlow, retiring in the 1980s.

She was a 25-year member of the Women's Club of St. Michaels.

She had no immediate survivors.

Memorial donations may be made to the Presbyterian Church of Easton, 617 N. Washington St., Easton 21601, where she was a member.

Services were held Tuesday at the Newnam Funeral Home in Easton, with interment in Woodlawn Memorial Park.

Dr. S. D. Pentecost

Retired urologist

Dr. Salvador D. Pentecost, a retired New Jersey urologist and University of Maryland alumnus, died June 23 of cancer at Hospice By The Sea in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 84.

He was associated with a urology practice in Belleville, N.J., and was on the staff of Clara Maass Memorial Hospital there.

From 1939 to 1960, he was the staff physician for the Lionel Corp. in Hillside, N.J., manufacturers of electric trains.

Born and reared in Bloomfield, N.J., he earned his bachelor's degree in 1933 from the University of Maryland and his medical degree from the medical school there in 1936.

During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps and was discharged with the rank of captain in 1945.

He had been a member of the American College of Surgeons since 1947 and was a member of the Essex Country Club in West Orange.

After his retirement in 1978, he moved from his Essex Fells home to Delray Beach, Fla.

His survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Eleanor Marie Kenny; a son, William O. Pentecost of Lake Hiawatha, N.J.; two daughters, Gayle V. Keen of Oxford and Patricia A. Wefing of Pittstown, N.J.; five granddaughters; and a great-granddaughter.

Services were private.

Arnold K. Daue

Security director

Arnold K. Daue, a retired security director at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and former career Army officer, died June 25 of cancer at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. He was 72.

He was deputy director of security at the space agency's Washington headquarters from 1960 until he retired in 1980.

He joined the Army in 1938 and during World War II served with the 41st Transportation Division in the Pacific Theater. In 1945, he was transferred to the Counter-Intelligence Corps, serving in the Far East before retiring with the rank of major in 1960.

The 30-year resident of Weems Creek near Annapolis was born and reared in Portland, Ore., where he was educated.

He enjoyed golfing, woodworking, listening to classical music, bird watching and taming raccoons. He was an amateur Egyptologist.

He was a member of the American Association of Retired Persons, the Naval Academy Golf Club, the Admiral Heights Community Center, the Admiral Heights Boat Club and the Army Counter-Intelligence Corps Veterans Association.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Audrey Cunningham; a daughter, Pamela L. Collinson of Westminster; a brother, Frank Daue, and a sister, Lois L. Probst, both of Gilchrist, Ore.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

The family suggested memorial donations to the Oncology Unit, Anne Arundel Medical Center, 64 Franklin St, Annapolis 21401.

Services were held Thursday at Arlington National Cemetery.

Katherine Ellrich

Towson librarian

Katherine Reed Ellrich, a retired librarian, died June 21 of cancer at her home in Harrisburg, Pa., where she had lived since 1986. She was 72.

The former Baltimore County librarian worked in the Towson branch for 15 years before retiring in 1986.

Born in Norwalk, Conn., she was educated at the St. John Baptist School in Morristown, N.J., and attended William Smith College.

She moved to Baltimore in 1941 and went to work for Bendix Radio Corp. on East Joppa Road in Towson. In 1943, she married Charles N. Ellrich, a contractor. He died in 1981.

The former Ruxton Road resident enjoyed oil painting. Her subjects included still lifes, children's portraits and New England locales, which she often visited for inspiration.

Survivors include a son, Charles R. Ellrich of Sykesville; a daughter, Robin E. Balaban of Camp Hill, Pa.; a brother, Austin S. Reed of Charlotte, N.C.; a sister, Constance Ferron of Somers, N.Y.; her mother, Dorothy J. Reed of Harrisburg; and two grandchildren.

Services were held June 24 at Trinity Episcopal Church in Long Green.

Memorial donations may be made to Hospice of Central Pennsylvania, 98 S. Enola Drive, Enola, Pa. 17025.

Margaret Jones

Factory worker

Margaret Jones, a retired factory worker and housekeeper, died June 24 of respiratory failure at Bon Secours Hospital. She was 82.

Born and educated in Dallas, she moved in 1951 to Aberdeen and worked in an area cannery.

After retiring in 1983, she moved to East Baltimore to live with her daughter, Sandra Jones, who said, "She was a people person who loved to sit around the house and sew, talk with her friends. She was well-known for her Southern cooking and particularly her egg custard."

She was a member of Mount Zion Baptist Church, where she sang in the choir and was an usher.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

Services were held Friday at the Gary P. March Funeral Home, with interment in Voshelle Cemetery.

In addition to her daughter, survivors include a son, George Travis of Hagerstown; four grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad