Ruth E. NallsIn July 2 editions of...


Ruth E. Nalls

In July 2 editions of The Sun, the obituary of Ruth E. Nalls should have included her husband, Leslie M. Nalls, among her survivors. The Sun regrets the error.

Ruth E. Nalls

Cashier, secretary

Ruth E. Nalls, who had been a cashier and secretary and was active at the Bykota Senior Center in Towson, died June 20 of cancer at her home in Parkville.

Mrs. Nalls, 70, retired a second time about two years ago after working part time for about three years as a cashier at a Rite Aid drugstore in Perry Hall.

Before her earlier retirement in the early 1980s, she had been a secretary for several companies, including Electrolux Corp., Republic Van Lines and Hemingway transport.

At Bykota center, she was a member of a creative writing class and won several awards for her work.

She was born Ruth E. Ryan in Baltimore.

She is survived by three daughters, Ruthe R. Snyder of Baltimore, Deborah K. Doxzon of Stewartstown, Pa., and Cynthia Eichelberger of Wrentham, Mass.; a sister, Katherine Hensley of Sykesville; and seven grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Nalls was offered June 23 at St. Isaac Jogues Roman Catholic Church in Parkville.

Louis P. Hudson

Merck manager

Louis P. Hudson, a retired regional manager for a pharmaceutical company, died Tuesday of a heart attack at his Towson residence. He was 87.

Known as Pete, he retired after a 35-year career with Merck, Sharp & Doehm, the pharmaceutical division of Merck & Co. which the company had purchased in 1953. He went to work for what was then Sharp & Doehm Co. in 1935 as a salesman in Fort Worth, Texas, and was transferred to Baltimore in 1951.

"He was fond of saying that he was born in Woodward, Indian Territory," said a son, Ray A. Hudson of Towson. He was born in 1906 and Oklahoma joined the Union a year later.

He moved with his family to Fort Worth when he was 8 and attended schools there. As a youngster, he began working in drugstores. He con

tinued to work at drugstores to work his way through Texas Christian University, where he earned his bachelor's degree in 1931.

"Even though he hadn't studied pharmacy in college, he was able to sit for his license in Texas and became a druggist," Ray Hudson said.

"He was a gadget guy who liked tinkering with cars, electronics and stereo equipment. He had a room designed acoustically at home so he could listen to the jazz records he collected.

He had traveled around the world several times and enjoyed photography. He had been a member for 44 years of University Baptist Church, where he has been a trustee and an officer of the men's club.

Services are private with burial in Fort Worth.

In addition to his son, he is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Charlotte Anderson; another son, Elliott A. Hudson of Johnson City, Tenn.; a sister, Edith P. Hudson of Fort Worth; and four grandchildren.

Donations may be made to University Baptist Church, 3501 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21218.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad