Dorothy M. RooneyBookkeeperDorothy M. Rooney, who worked...


Dorothy M. Rooney


Dorothy M. Rooney, who worked in her family's bakery and later was the bookkeeper for her husband's dental laboratory, died Tuesday of complications of Alzheimer's disease at the Bryant Woods Inn in Columbia. She was 89.

She had been a resident of St. Elizabeth's Hall of the Cardinal Shehan Center for the Aging and of several Baltimore area neighborhoods, including Ten Hills, Walbrook, Northwood and Timonium.

She was born Dorothy M. Voelker and reared near her family's bakery, at Chase and Valley streets in East Baltimore, where she worked as a girl.

She married Joseph Rooney, a former sailor, in 1930. She did the bookkeeping for his business, the Rooney Dental Laboratory, until he retired in 1964. He died in 1978.

She had been a volunteer at the Bykota Senior Center in Towson and was active in the Hamilton Lions Club.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane in Texas.

She is survived by three sons, Gerald L. Rooney of Ellicott City, Brian M. Rooney of Phoenix and Patrick J. Rooney of Lutherville; a daughter, Kathleen R. O'Shea of Timonium; a sister, Rose Donegan of Catonsville; and 11 grandchildren. Esau Beard, a retired construction laborer and self-taught guitarist, died June 17 of cancer at Maryland General Hospital. He was 72 and lived on West Lafayette Avenue.

He was born and reared in South Boston, Va., one of 13 children, and moved to Baltimore in 1949. He was a construction worker for many years and, in retirement, repaired appliances and old TV sets.

He taught himself to play harmonica and six-string guitar.

"He learned to play down-home blues and admired the music and playing of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee and Muddy Waters," said Ola Turner, a daughter-in-law, of Baltimore.

A wake was planned for 1:30 p.m. today, followed by a 2 p.m. funeral at the Joseph H. Brown Jr. Fu

neral Home, 1913 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore, with interment in Mt. Zion Cemetery.

Other survivors include his wife of 50 years, the former Lucille Bond; a stepson, Andrew Lee Turner of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Odell Parker of Baltimore; a brother, John Henry Beard of South Boston; six sisters, Nannie Boney, Mary Elizabeth Meadows, Rachel Beard and Sheila Galdreath, all of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Maxine Satterfield and Sarah Meadows, both of South Boston; six grandchildren; eight great grandchildren; and 10 great-great grandchildren.

Frederic C. Jay

Lumber salesman

Frederic C. Jay, a retired lumber salesman who once headed a firm that made wooden buckets, died Tuesday of cancer at his Annapolis home. He was 84.

Mr. Jay, who had also lived in Severna Park, retired about two years ago from his son's lumber company, the F. Scott Jay Co. in Millersville.

From the early 1960s until 1975, he had lived in Richmond, Va., where he was president of the Virginia Cedar Works, a manufacturer of wooden buckets. He had also been a salesman for the Weyerhaeuser Co. and the MacLea Lumber Co.

A native of Pottstown, Pa., who was reared in Philadelphia, he attended the University of Pennsylvania.

He was a member of the Annapolis Yacht Club and the Olde Severna Park Improvement Association.

His first wife, the former Terry Tarrens, died in 1967.

Graveside services were planned for 11 a.m. today at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church Cemetery, 1601 Pleasant Plains Road in St. Margarets.

He is survived by his wife, the former Kathleen Smith Conner; his son, F. Scott Jay of Severna Park; a stepson, James E. Conner of Timonium; a stepdaughter, Victoria A. Conner of Owings Mills; and five grandchildren.

George Thompson

Owned car dealership

George H. Thompson, who had owned an automobile dealership in Easton since 1941, died Monday at Memorial Hospital at Easton of complications of diabetes. He was 79.

The owner of Thompson Motors first worked as a mechanic after moving to Easton in 1936 from Magnolia, Del., where he was born and reared. His dealership sold new Chrysler products from 1947 until 1987, and now sells used cars.

He was a former president of the Maryland Safety Council and was a member of the National Automobile Dealers Association and other business groups.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at the Newnam Funeral Home In Easton.

He is survived by his wife of 58 years, the former Mabel Adams; two daughters, Carolyn Ann Thompson Thoroughgood of Greenville, Del., who is dean of the University of Delaware College of Marine Studies, and Barbara Jane Thompson Lewis of Easton; a brother, Wallace Elmer Thompson of Easton; and two grandchildren.

John J. Sands

Helped found retreats

John J. Sands, who helped to found the Matt Calvert Retreat Group, an organization of several thousand alcoholic men, died Sunday of heart failure at his home in Irvington. He was 68.

Mr. Sands also helped to establish a retreat center at the Roman Catholic St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Church. In the 1960s, he raised money to build a convent in the Catonsville area for the Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary.

He retired in 1984 after seven years as a U.S. Postal Service carrier in the downtown area. Earlier, he installed elevators and escalators for several companies for 25 years.

The Baltimore native served in the Navy during World War II. He received the Purple Heart after being burned in an engine room explosion aboard the USS South Dakota during action in the Pacific.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday at St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Church.

He is survived by his wife, the former Gloria Huber; two sons, James P. Sands of Catonsville and John E. Sands of San Francisco; two daughters, Mary C. Delawder and Rose A. Sands, both of Baltimore; a sister, Audrey Forton of Catonsville; two brothers, Leo Sands of Randallstown and Joseph Sands of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad