She found me in the multipack candy aisle of Price Club unsuccessfully trying to balance a container of Strawberry Twizlers on top of a double carton of Fruit Loops.
School was out for the summer, nutrition was out the window.
"Almost makes you appreciate that $1.10 lunch in the school cafeteria," she said with just a hint of sarcasm.
We joined the line of other mothers waiting to check out.
"Do you have any special summer plans for the kids?" she asked.
Mentally I reviewed my summer schedule. With the exception of the impending Wal-Mart opening things looked pretty open.
"I feel very positive about this summer," she said. "I'm looking forward to spending quality time with the kids: ceramics, French camp, trips to art museums."
I became concerned that my resolution to make the kids watch public television's "Carmen Sandiego" wasn't enough.
Prying my children away from the Sega game system on display, I wondered whatever happened to summer vacations where the only museum your parents even considered taking you to was the Football Hall of Fame.
Catch you at Wal-Mart, Glen Burnie.
Years of hard work and effort were rewarded when members of Glen Burnie High School Class of 1994 were honored with scholarships at their recent graduation ceremony. Scholarships were presented to:
* Todd C. Barto, Maryland State Delegate Scholarship; Academic Achievement Scholarship from Washington College.
* Diane M. Blair, Glen Burnie Mutual Savings Bank Merit Award; Presidential Scholarship from Salisbury State University.
* Mandi M. Buckheit, Maryland State Delegate Scholarship; General Maryland State Scholarship; Rotary Club of Glen Burnie Merit Award. Attending Anne Arundel Community College (AACC).
* Melissa A. Buckheit, Maryland State Delegate Scholarship; General Maryland State Scholarship; Glen Burnie Centennial Scholarship; Rotary Club of Glen Burnie Merit Award. Attending AACC.
* Bridget C. Callahan, Presidential Scholarship and Guerrieri Scholar at Salisbury State.
* Mark Soo Chang, General Maryland State Scholarship; Minority Scholarship from Morgan State University.
* LaTeise D. Crowner, General Maryland State Scholarship. Attending the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
* Fred J. Davenport, Dr. Solomon's Human Relations Award Scholarship. Attending Morgan State.
* Eileen H. Edwards, Trustee's Good Student Scholarship; Villa Julie College Scholarship.
* Kalyani S. Fernando, Merit Scholarship from Gettysburg College.
* Tanisha E. Figueroa, National Honor Society Scholarship. Attending AACC.
* Melissa L. Gauthier, Merit Scholarship from Loyola College.
* Kenneth A. Green, "It's Academic" Scholarship; Presidential Scholarship; Franklin P. Purdue School of Business Scholarship from Salisbury State.
* Rachael L. Hamm, Civitan Club of Glen Burnie Scholarship; Maryland State Delegate Scholarship. Attending University of Maryland College Park (UM).
* Troy J. Harris, Links Chapter of Annapolis Award Scholarship; Black Political Forum Award Scholarship. Attending Coppin State University.
* Clara L. Hickerson, Long & Foster Scholarship; Glen Burnie Mutual Savings Bank Scholarship; The Sun for Anne Arundel County Journalism Award Scholarship; Panhellenic Club of Annapolis Scholarship; Ladies of the Elks of Glen Burnie Scholarship; General Maryland State Scholarship; Glen Burnie Centennial Scholarship. Attending UM.
* Dezbah A. Jim, Glen Burnie Centennial Scholarship; Leadership Scholarship from Elon College.
* Anthony W. Jordan Jr., Links Chapter of Annapolis Award Scholarship; Amy Eveson Huey Scholarship; U.S. Air Force ROTC Scholarship. Attending North Carolina A & T College.
* Dorothy J. King, Presidential Scholarship from Averett College.
* Amy K. Kreglow, General Maryland State Scholarship. Attending Towson State University.
* Stephanie L. LeCompte, Fine Arts Dance Scholarship from University of Maryland Baltimore County.
* George M. Messmore, Merit Scholarship from Clarkson University.
L * Ossai R. Miazad, academic scholarship from Vassar College.
* Steven D. Mulhollen, National Honor Society Scholarship; Southgate/Oakwood/Horizons/- Crain Towers Pharmacy's Scholarship; Christian Vocation Scholarship; honors scholarship from Mississippi College.
* Cindy L. Naumann, academic scholarship from Dickinson College.
* Julie A. Nefferdore, Capital/Gazette Academic All-Star Honoree Scholarship; Glen Burnie Mutual Savings Bank Merit Award; National Honor Society Scholarship; Maryland State Delegate Scholarship. Attending UM.
* Jason A. Passaro, Robert C. Byrd Scholarship; Merit Scholarship from Rutgers State University.
* Kristina M. Puckett, Maryland State Delegate Scholarship. Attending UMBC.
* Shuzhou Shen, National Honor Society Scholarship. Attending UM.
* Laura E. Smith, Jean Bartolomeo Scholarship. Attending Drexel University.
* Melanie A. Tingler, General Maryland State Scholarship. Attending UMBC.
* Wayne C. Welch, Chesapeake Bay Roost Association of "Old Crows" Scholarship. Attending UM.
* Alyssa D. Wexel, National Honor Society Scholarship; Merit Scholarship from Drexel University.