George I. Kellner
U.S. currency maker
George I. Kellner, a U.S. currency maker, died Friday of cancer at his mother's home in Mayfield, in Northeast Baltimore. He was 49.
Mr. Kellner had worked for the federal Bureau of Engraving and Printing since 1988. Earlier, he was a photo-engraver for Alco Gravure in Glen Burnie.
Mr. Kellner, a Baltimore native, attended the University of Baltimore after graduating from Calvert Hall College High School in 1964.
A waterfront resident in the Bird River area of Baltimore County for the past 20 years, Mr. Kellner enjoyed fishing and other water-related activities.
He was an avid skier and traveled to the slopes in Vermont, Colorado and Montana to pursue the hobby.
His wife, the former Jane L. Fleckenstein, died in 1988.
Mr. Kellner was a member of Local No. 582 of the Graphic Communications International Union and the Fred Ski Club.
He is survived by his mother, Josephine M. Kellner of Mayfield; a sister, Catherine B. Hedges of Middle River; two brothers, J. Gerard Kellner of Fallston and Joseph J. Kellner of Glyndon; and a friend, Georgia L. Casey.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church, 3615 Harford Road, in Baltimore. Interment will be at Holly Hill Memorial Gardens.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society.
Joseph Kovner, a retired lawyer for the U.S. Department of Justice who also had been a staff lawyer for labor unions, died April 30 of congestive heart failure at the Meridian Health Care Center at Brightwood.
Mr. Kovner, who was 84 and once lived in the Guilford area, retired in 1974 as assistant chief of the Court of Claims Section of the Justice Department's Tax Division. He had worked in the division since 1958.
Born in Brockton, Mass., he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa at Yale and was an editor of the Law Review at Yale Law School, from which he graduated in 1934.
After two years in private practice in New York City, he moved to Washington and worked on the staff of the Senate Committee on Railroad Finance before becoming a lawyer for the Congress of Industrial Organizations and then for the United Mine Workers.
He had been in private practice, in Concord, N.H., for five years before returning to Washington and joining the Justice Department.
He was a volunteer lawyer for the National Wildlife Federation in his retirement.
His wife of 50 years, the former Mary Helen Gion, died in 1992.
Before moving to Baltimore in 1978, they had been members of the Florida Avenue Friends Meeting in Washington and of the Bethesda Friends Meeting and were active in Quaker affairs, participating in peace vigils during the Vietnam War and working for other social causes.
They settled in Guilford, and Mr. Kovner was clerk of the Homewood Friends Meeting for several years.
He is survived by two daughters, Ellen K. Silbergeld and Davida Kovner, both of Baltimore; a son, Guion M. Kovner of Occidental, Calif.; a sister, Florence Kramer of Brockton, Mass.; and five grandchildren.
Arrangements for a memorial service are incomplete. The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Friends Service Committee.
A. Adeline Ludwig
A. Adeline Ludwig, a retired nurse who was active in church and community groups in Dundalk, died May 8 of heart failure at the Charlestown Care Center in Catonsville.
Mrs. Ludwig, who was 79, had lived in Dundalk until she and her husband moved to the Charlestown Retirement Community in 1991.
She retired in 1978 from the Merritt Point Elementary School, where she had been a nurse. She also had been a nurse at the Bear Creek, Charlesmont, Victory Villa and Edgemere elementary schools since 1959.
Before working at the eastern Baltimore County schools, she had been a public health nurse in East Baltimore.
She was born A. Adeline Singer in Harrisburg, Pa., and reared in nearby Dauphin, Pa.
She was a graduate of the William Penn High School in Harrisburg, where she was a debater and basketball player and studied piano. She was valedictorian of her graduating class.
After baby sitting for two years to earn the tuition and other fees, she graduated in 1937 from the Harrisburg Hospital School of nursing.
She met August Ludwig while visiting relatives in Sparrows Point during her high school years, and they were married in 1937. Mr. Ludwig is a retired stationary engineer for the Bethlehem Steel Corp.
Mrs. Ludwig was a Sunday school teacher at Dundalk United Methodist Church, a member of the United Methodist Women and den mother for the Cub Scouts.
She was a member of the Dundalk Concert Association, played pinochle in an informal club and, during the 1980s, was active in a senior citizens program at the Dundalk Community College.
She was a study group leader in the Association for Research and Enlightenment, a spiritual organization. She also enjoyed camping and travel, visiting all 50 states, England and Canada with her husband.
A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Dundalk United Methodist Church, 6903 Mornington Road.
In addition to her husband, survivors include three daughters, Alice Rohart of Baltimore, Sandra Adams of Towson and Donna Stohrer of Greenbelt; a son, Edgar Charles Ludwig of Miami, Fla.; and seven grandchildren.
Robert M. Gray
Robert M. Gray, a retired vice president of Equitable Bank, died April 21 of cancer at a hospital in Wauwatosa, Wis., where he moved in 1989. The former Rodgers Forge and Roland Park resident was 55.
He began working for the bank, which is now part of NationsBank, in 1956 as a teller. After working in branch officer positions in Satyr Hill, Middlesex and Towson, he was promoted in 1978 to area supervisor. He eventually was promoted to regional vice president responsible for all of the bank's Baltimore County offices. He retired in 1988.
He was a member of several banking organizations and was elected president of the Baltimore chapter of The American Institute of Banking in 1971.
He was born and reared in Wauwatosa and educated at Marquette University. After serving in the Navy as a seaman first class communications officer aboard the carrier Independence, he moved to Baltimore in 1960.
Fond of ice skating, he was an officer of the Ice Club of Baltimore and enjoyed skating at the old Carlin's Park and the Meadowbrook Ice Ring. He also was a member of the Roland Park Swim Club.
Both of his marriages ended in divorce.
A Memorial Mass will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church, 5500 York Road in Govans.
Survivors include three daughters, Sgt. Deborah Tyson Gray, USMC, of Stewart Air Force Base, N.Y., and Lisa Sinclair Gray and Rebecca Lindsay Gray, both of Taneytown; a brother, William T. Gray of Madison, Wis.; and a sister, Mary Ellen Ramstack of Sturgeon Bay, Wis.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 43025, Baltimore 21236-0025.
Sister Mary Marlita Siegmund, S.S.N.D., a seamstress in communities of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, died May 2 of cancer in the health center at Villa Assumpta, the order's motherhouse at Charles Street and Bellona Avenue. She was 79.
Sister Marlita had been seamstress for the health center from 1983 until she became ill about six months ago.
From 1955 until 1983, she was seamstress and sacristan at Villa Maria, the retirement community and health center the order maintained at Notchcliff in Glen Arm.
For a year before that, she was in charge of a dining room for the order's aspirants at Holy Angels Academy in Fort Lee, N.J.
From 1947 until 1954, she was a seamstress at the order's previous motherhouse at the Institute of Notre Dame.
Born Mary Siegmund in Baltimore, she was educated at St. Michael's School and was a seamstress in clothing factories before entering the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1944.
She is survived by three brothers, George and Joseph E. Siegmund, both of Baltimore, and Howard Siegmund of Somerdale, N.J.; a sister, Anna Siegmund of Baltimore; six nieces; three nephews; and several grandnieces and grandnephews.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered May 5.
George E. Baney
George E. Baney, a retired transit worker and circus buff who built his own model show, died April 28 of cancer at his Randallstown home. He was 87.
He retired in 1971 after 44 years with the Mass Transit Administration and the old Baltimore Transit Co., where he started as a streetcar conductor.
As a young man, the Baltimore native had worked for circuses when they appeared here and later lamented to relatives that the indoor circuses of recent years "weren't the same" as the tent shows of his youth.
He collected circus memorabilia and built his own model show, called the Baney-Lloyd Circus. Its wagons, performers, side show and other circus features were made of wood and sheet metal at a scale of one-quarter inch to a foot.
He also fitted out a model train as a circus train, complete with circus wagons on flat cars.
He is survived by his wife, the former Bertha E. Prager, and many nieces and nephews.
Services were held May 2.