Can you "Stand" it? The third part of Stephen King's macabre miniseries is presented tonight, along with one other spooky TV entries: a late-night repeat of "Life and Loves of a She-Devil."
* "In the Heat of the Night." (8-9 p.m., WBAL, Channel 11) -- For the season finale of this show, Carroll O'Connor's guest stars include Peter Fonda, who plays a Jim Jones-like cult leader. Who would have thought, back in the '60s, that the star of "Easy Rider" would show up on a '90s TV cop show? Or, for that matter, that the star of "Barbarella" would be making exercise videos and doing the chop at Atlanta Braves games? CBS.
* "Grace Under Fire." (8:30-9 p.m., WJZ, Channel 13) -- Another interesting guest-star note: This sitcom's last episode of the season guest stars Diane Ladd, who plays the mother of Grace (Brett Butler) and Faith (Valri Bromfield). Dave Thomas co-stars. ABC.
* "Leave of Absence." (9-11 p.m., WMAR, Channel 2) -- Polly Bergen, who has a supporting role in this telemovie, wrote the story on which it is based. Brian Dennehy stars as a man surrounded by, and involved with, two women: his wife (Blythe Danner) and his new mistress (Jacqueline Bisset), whose existence he reveals to his wife when he learns the "other woman" has a fatal illness. Ms. Danner and Ms. Bisset as romantic co-stars? Nice work if you can get it. NBC.
* "Stephen King's 'The Stand.' " (9-11 p.m., WJZ, Channel 13) -- Part 3 of 4. This is the episode in which Laura San Giacomo really lets her hair down -- and lets it turn more and more white, too, somehow reflecting her inner turmoil as she wavers between following the paths of good and evil. (The hair color changes, perhaps, to warn her of the follicle of her ways.) But it's also the episode where Jamey Sheridan, Ray Walston, Gary Sinise and Miguel Ferrer do some fairly nice work. ABC.
* "Melrose Place." (9-10 p.m., WBFF, Channel 45) -- In addition to setting up Linda Gray as the star of this show's coming "Models Inc." spinoff, "Melrose Place" also continues to follow the unpredictable path of two women set on revenge: the mentally unbalanced Kimberly (Marcia Cross) and the down-but-not-out Sydney (Laura Leighton), who in tonight's episode crashes Billy's bachelor party. Fox.
*"Late Show With David Letterman." (11:35 p.m.- 12:35 a.m., WNUV, Channel 54) -- On the first night Letterman broadcasts from the West Coast, on Jay Leno's home turf, Johnny Carson made a cameo appearance in a pretaped bit. Now let' see. . . . How many times has Carson shown up on "Tonight" since stepping down? Does the word "never" ring a bell? Tonight's scheduled guests include Michael Keaton. CBS.
* "Life and Loves of a She-Devil." (4-6:30 a.m., A&E;) ) Part 1 of 2. Take my word for it: This is too outrageous to miss, and this is NOT the movie with Roseanne Arnold. It's the much darker, infinitely better miniseries version with Julie T. Wallace.