No. 13 Georgetown sets school mark, tops Penn, 17-8

HEMPSTEAD, N. Y. — WASHINGTON -- Chris Remington scored two of his game-high five goals in a 6-0 run to open the second half as No. 13 Georgetown beat Penn, 17-8, in a Division I men's lacrosse game yesterday.

The Hoyas (10-3) set a school record for wins in a season, and now wait for a possible NCAA tournament bid. Georgetown has never appeared in postseason in its 24 years of Division I.


Georgetown opened a 4-1 lead in the first period on goals from four different Hoyas, but the Quakers answered by scoring four consecutive times to go ahead 5-4 early in the second. Remington then tied the game at 5 with 5:59 left in the half.

Penn took its final lead 53 seconds later when freshman midfielder Andy Rodriguez scored his second unassisted goal of the game.


The Hoyas went on a 7-0 run, including the first six goals of the second half, to take a 12-6 advantage.

Georgetown goalkeeper Jim Coale collected 17 saves. The Hoyas outshot the Quakers 58-34 and held a 61-45 advantage in ground balls.

Rutgers 16, Hofstra 15

HEMPSTEAD, N. Y. -- Robert Lemken scored 3:07 into overtime as Rutgers (7-9) came back from a six-goal deficit to defeat No. 18 Hofstra (6-7).

The Flying Dutchmen opened a 9-3 lead midway through the second quarter on a goal by Andy Carlson (five goals, one assist). The Scarlet Knights then scored eight of the next nine goals, capped by a goal by Lemken (five goals), to take an 11-10 advantage, their first lead of the game.

Dom Dinardo scored with three minutes left to give Rutgers a 15-13 lead, but Dan Spillett and Ryan O'Shea scored a minute apart to tie the game with 1:19 left.

The Scarlet Knights won the last nine faceoffs after losing seven of eight in the third quarter.

Brown 18, Adelphi 5



GARDEN CITY, N. Y. -- Brown scored three goals in a span of 43 seconds in the first quarter as the No. 7 Bears (11-8) topped Adelphi (3-8) for their 10th straight win.

David Evans (Loyola) led Brown with a goal and four assists. Brian McNally, Robert Gutheil and Robin Prince all contributed three goals apiece for the Bears.

Adelphi opened the scoring, but Brown tied it three minutes later. The Bears then scored three consecutive goals to take a 4-1 lead with 5:10 left and led at halftime, 11-2.