Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Olin O. Ellis Jr.Securities analystOlin O. Ellis...


Olin O. Ellis Jr.

Securities analyst

Olin O. Ellis Jr., a retired securities analyst and former Baltimore native, died Monday of complications from diabetes at his home in New York City. He was 69.

He was reared in Guilford, the son of Col. O. O. Ellis Sr., who was a professor of military tactics at the Johns Hopkins University and later a Baltimore businessman.

Mr. Ellis was a 1942 graduate of Boys' Latin School. He entered Princeton University but left to join the Army Air Corps in 1943. He served as a navigator aboard B-17 Flying Fortresses with the 490th Bomber Group of the Eighth Air Force on bombing missions over Germany. He was decorated with the Air Medal, five oak leaf clusters and three battle stars.

After being discharged in 1945 as a first lieutenant, he returned to Princeton, where he earned his bachelor's degree in economics in 1949. While at college, he played lacrosse and was active in the Princeton Evangelical Fellowship.

He continued his education at Wheaton College in Illinois where he earned bachelor's and master's degrees in divinity in 1955. He moved to Washington, where he began his business career with Sears & Roebuck Co., then moved to New York when he took a position with Standard & Poor's Corp.

In the early 1960s, he became a limited partner and securities analyst with Goodbody & Co., a brokerage firm, where his expertise was concentrated on private investments, humanitarian charities and the arts. He retired in 1971.

Services were set for 1 p.m. today at University Baptist Church, 3501 N. Charles St., Baltimore, with interment at Druid Ridge Cemetery.

He is survived by a sister, Suzanne E. Hawley of Winston-Salem, N.C.; and several nephews and nieces.

Memorial donations may be made to the International Rescue Committee, 386 Park Ave. S., New York, N.Y. 10016.

Aurel Foster

Church worker

Aurel Foster, who topped off 40 years of Presbyterian missionary work in Pakistan with 17 years of church work in Baltimore, died Wednesday in her sleep at the Methodist Manor House in Seaford, Del., at the age of 95.

Mrs. Foster began living in Baltimore in 1963 and served unofficially and then officially as the church greeter for what are now the Brown Memorial Presbyterian churches. Her husband, the Rev. Robert A. Foster, was assistant pastor of the churches before his death about 20 years ago.

Deborah B. Morrison, who knew Mrs. Foster at Brown Memorial, described her as a person "who was willing to drop whatever she was doing in order to help anyone."

In 1972, Mrs. Foster worked in the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) program, teaching domestic skills to residents of the lower Park Heights area.

The former Aurel Anderson was born in India to a family of missionaries and graduated from Westminster College in New Wilmington, Pa.

She and her husband worked in what is now Pakistan from 1922 until 1962.

She is survived by a son, Bruce Foster of Denton, Texas; four daughters, Dorothy Harrold of Syracuse, N.Y., Janet Anderson of Ashland, Ore., Roberta Crowell of Springfield, Mass., and Elizabeth Schwartz of Voorheesville, N.Y.; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Services were held Saturday.

Cyril E. Fowble Jr.

Chrysler executive

Cyril E. Fowble Jr., a retired Chrysler Corp. official, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Newark, Del. The Baltimore County native was 81.

He retired in 1974 after two years at Chrysler headquarters in Detroit. He had managed the Newark plant from 1962 until 1974, and earlier had been assistant plant manager in Los Angeles. He joined the company in 1957.

After retiring from Chrysler, he was a private consultant.

He began working in the automobile business at the General Motors plant in Baltimore in 1936. During World War II, he was a project engineer on the production of the Grumman Avenger aircraft.

Born in Arcadia in northwestern Baltimore County, he was a graduate of Franklin High School and attended Western Maryland College.

He is survived by his wife of 61 years, the former Margaret S. Horsey; a son, Cyril E. Fowble III of Moreland Hills, Ohio; a daughter, E. McSherry Fowble of Newark; two sisters, Maxine Krajovic of Phoenix, and Mary Long of Marco Island, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

Services were held Saturday.

Jerome H. Fuller Sr.

Plant superintendent

Jerome H. Fuller Sr., plant superintendent for a marine seating company, died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at St. Agnes Hospital after being stricken at work. He was 54 and had lived for 31 years in the Hollinswood section of Southwest Baltimore.

He had been employed by Turnbull Enterprises, which manufactures seats for the Navy and also ships' furniture, for 35 years.

"He was a devoted employee and just a lovely man," said Bill Alexander, president of the company located on Benson Avenue. "He was a good man and was well-liked."

Mr. Fuller was born and reared in West Baltimore and received his education at St. Benedict's School.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years, the former Mary E. Cook; six sons, Jerry Fuller of Ocean View, Del., John Fuller of Pasadena, David and Michael Fuller, both of Lansdowne, and Jeffrey and Timothy Fuller, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Charlotte Brown and Martina Simms, both of Baltimore; and 13 grandchildren.

Services were held Saturday .

Martha J. L. Hassett

School teacher

Martha J. L. Hassett, a former schoolteacher and homemaker, died April 24 of Parkinson's disease at Manor Care in Ruxton. She was 85.

She moved to Towson in 1945, when her husband, Charles C. Hassett, a physicist, joined the Department of Defense in Washington. He died in 1993.

The former Martha J. Ludlum was born and reared in Buffalo, N.Y., and earned her bachelor's degree in 1928 and her master's degree in 1932 from the University of Buffalo, now part of the New York state university system.

Because of the Depression, she wasn't able to continue her education to become a biologist and began teaching elementary school. She taught in Buffalo-area schools until she moved to Towson.

During World War II, she was a block warden, knitted goods for Bundles for Britain and served on the local ration board.

Active in YWCA affairs, she served on the executive committee and was one of the founders of the Towson YWCA. She was a volunteer at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Emmanuel Episcopal Church.

She is survived by two daughters, Mary H. Miles of Baltimore and Louise H. Lincoln of Minneapolis; and three granddaughters.

Memorial donations may be made

to the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine, 1620 McElderry St., Baltimore 21205.

A memorial service was held Saturday.

George Stover

Tree surgeon

George Stover, a tree surgeon and horse lover who raced his stable of half-milers all over the state, died April 28 of kidney failure at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. The Severn Heights resident was 92.

Mr. Stover worked for years for the Davey Tree Co., traveling from Maine to Washington, D.C., as a salesman before leaving to go into business for himself.

In 1928, he founded the American Tree Expert Co. in Baltimore and struggled through hard times to keep his business alive.

"He had an old, four-door Essex car that he took the back seat out of and loaded all up with his tree-care stuff -- the fertilizers and shovels and saws and all of that -- and he'd drive all over looking for work," said his son, Robert Stover, 68. "He hung on and eventually built that company into five trucks and 14 or 15 employees."

With his newfound success, Mr. Stover built a modest summer house on the Severn River. He also indulged his passion for horses, which developed during his childhood on his father's farm, his son said. He named his half-milers after family members and friends.

But Doc Stover, By Shucks, Annette G and Brenda's Dare were not destined to become household names.

"Dad never had much luck at it," Robert Stover said with a laugh. "I think By Shucks won one race in about five years. But he loved his horses. And he kept at it until he got too old for it."

In 1972, Mr. Stover retired to Severn Heights.

Services were set for 1 p.m. today at the Burgee-Henss Funeral Home, 3631 Falls Road in Baltimore, with burial at Lakeview Cemetery in Sykesville.

In addition to his son, Robert, Mr. Stover is survived by his wife, Margaret Stover; a daughter, Patricia Snyder of Washington; a stepdaughter, Carole Sykes of Baltimore; four grandchildren; and six great grandchildren. He was the father of the late George Stover II.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad