Marjorie Bachman Medical, retail worker

Helen C. Ewald

Headed clubs


Helen C. Ewald, executive secretary of the Woman's Club of Roland Park from 1967 until 1973, died March 11 of heart failure at Roland Park Place.

Mrs. Ewald, who was 90, also had worked in the Towson office of the Citizen's Planning and Housing Association and for Samuel Kirk & Sons, now the Kirk Stieff Co.


She was a teacher in a Works Progress Administration training program for domestic workers and, during World War II, a personnel officer for Continental Can Co. and head of the United Service Organization in Hagerstown.

She also had been president of the women's Hamilton Street Club and a volunteer at the Baltimore Museum of Art. During World War II, she established a volunteer service for the Red Cross at South Baltimore General Hospital.

She was born Helen Crocker in Chicago and reared in Denver.

She had been a member of the class of 1926 at the University of Michigan before coming to Baltimore with her husband, Philip M. Wagner, when he joined the editorial staff of The Evening Sun in 1930.

Her marriage to Mr. Wagner, who retired as editor of The Sun in 1963, ended in divorce, as did her marriage to Laurence Ewald.

A concert in memory of Mrs. Ewald will be held at 3 p.m. today at Roland Park Place, 830 W. 40th St.

Survivors include a daughter, Susan Wagner, of Paris and Washington; a son, Philip C. Wagner of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; and four grandchildren.

Evelyn LaRochelle


Bowling enthusiast

Evelyn Foreman LaRochelle, who had been active in the bowling business in Baltimore, died Wednesday of cancer at her home in Ormond Beach, Fla.

Mrs. LaRochelle, who was 70, had moved to the Baltimore area in 1949 and lived there, in Chestertown or in Laurel until the early 1980s.

In 1949, she began working for what became Fair Lanes Bowling Centers and became its assistant director of operations. She left the company in 1960.

She also worked for other bowling centers in Baltimore until the mid-1960s and later was a partner in a bowling lane in East Hartford, Conn.

She was a founder of the Maryland Youth Duckpin Bowling Association, a member of the Duckpin Bowling Hall of Fame, a former president of the Duckpin Bowling proprietors of America and a life member of the Maryland State Women's Bowling Association.


Mrs. LaRochelle was a former president of the Maryland chapter of the National Secretaries Association and had been active in the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars auxiliaries.

She was born Evelyn Turner in Lansing, Mich. Her first husband, Earl F. Foreman, died in 1976, and her second husband, Archie LaRochelle, died in 1993.

Services for Mrs. LaRochelle were held yesterday in Ormond Beach.

She is survived by a son, Richard Foreman of Panama City, Fla.; two daughters, Dianna Santapola of Port Orange, Fla., and Glenda Henkel of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Carol Carlson of Lake Helen, Fla.; a sister, Rachel Hurld of Leesburg, Fla., 10 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Warren F. Syner

FDA retiree


Warren F. Syner, a retired supervisor of electronic equipment for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration who nearly fulfilled his goal of camping in his motor home in all the United States and provinces of Canada, died Monday of cancer at the Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. He was 63 and lived in Arnold

In the last 14 months, he had traveled to Alaska, 30 of the contiguous states and three Canadian provinces, returning from his last trip Nov. 3. At the time of his death, he had not camped in Hawaii and eight other states.

Mr. Syner retired in early 1992 after working for the FDA for 23 years. Earlier, he was an electronics technician for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Texas Instruments and the Westinghouse Electric Corp.

Born and reared in Springfield, Mass., he served in the Army Signal Corps in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

A memorial service was held yesterday in St. Margarets.

Mr. Syner is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Shirley H. Yeager; a daughter, Linda Anne Syner of Ridgely; a son, David E. Syner of Glen Burnie; and a brother, Royal E. Syner of Springfield.


Memorial donations may be made to the Hospice of the Chesapeake in Millersville.

Marion T. Girard

Secretary, singer

Marion T. Girard, who had been a model, band singer and a secretary, died Tuesday of cancer at her home in the Guilford area. She was 65.

She retired in 1992 after working for the Towson law firm of Turnbull, Wase and Lyons since 1986. Before then she was a secretary at various firms, beginning in the late 1960s.

She had taught stenographic machine operation at the old Bay College in Baltimore.


She was born Marion T. Donhouser in Baltimore, graduated from Patterson Park High School and attended Towson State University.

As Marion Milo, she sang in nightclubs in Baltimore and then in the late 1950s in New York and Chicago with various bands, including those led by trumpeter Louis Prima and drummer Gene Krupa.

She modeled in fashion shows until the 1970s, including exhibitions staged by the furrier, Mano Swartz Inc.

Her husband, Raeborne Girard, a band leader in Baltimore, died in 1979.

Services were held yesterday in Towson.

She is survived by her mother, Lydia Donhouser; and a friend, Jay B. Wenderoth, both of Baltimore.


Marjorie June Bachman, who managed clothing stores and worked in a doctor's office, died Wednesday at St. Joseph Hospital of cardiac arrest. She was 72.

She retired about 10 years ago after working in the office of Dr. John M. Rehberger since 1976. Earlier, she worked for Peck & Peck, the women's clothing chain, as manager and assistant manager of stores in the Baltimore area.

Born in Baltimore, she was reared here and in Norfolk, Va. She was a graduate of Forest Park High School and attended the Maryland Institute, College of Art.

Graveside services were held yesterday in Woodlawn.

She is survived by several cousins and three friends, Elaine and Barbara Cunningham, both of Towson, and Margaret L. Strickrodt of Norfolk.

Joseph W. Garber


Worked for B&O;

Joseph W. Garber Jr., a retired sheet metal worker for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, died March 8 after a heart attack at his home in Brooklyn Park. He was 84.

He retired from the B&O; in 1971. The native of Weatherly, Pa., had worked for the Lehigh Valley Railroad in Pennsylvania before coming to Baltimore in 1940.

His wife, the former Helen Baran, died in 1983.

A Mass of Christian burial was conducted yesterday in Linthicum.

Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Helen Garber of Linthicum; four brothers, Michael, John and Peter Garber, all of Weatherly, and Andrew Garber of Boca Raton, Fla.; and three sisters, Mary Meyers of Weatherly, Margaret Knyrim of Hazleton, Pa., and Florence Sarley of Bethlehem, Pa.