The Baltimore YABA Championship Tournament at Greenway Bowl Odenton produced the following winners:
NTC * Major Boys Team -- The Bowl America Odenton Team #1 of Warren Thompson, Mike Dixon, Rich Daff and Gerry Chaney with a total pin fall of 2,648.
* Prep Boys Team -- The Fair Lanes Southdale Hurricanes of LeRoy Anderson, Tom Epley, Jonathan Grail and Wayne Cockran with a total of 2,614.
* Prep Girls Team -- The Fair Lanes Southdale girls of Tori $H Cowley, Jessica Furness, Tina Willis and Maggie Kay dropped 2,462 pins.
* Major Boys Singles -- Bruce Bass of Fair Lanes Ritchie fired a three-game series of 756.
A sophomore at Cardinal Gibbons High School, he's made adjustments to his game.
"I've slowed down the ball," he said. "That's a big change for me."
Now he's averaging 147 with his career high game a 246 and his high set is the 756 thrown in the tournament.
* Junior Boys Singles -- Kevin Wholey of Greenway Bowl Odenton had a 735 set.
* Prep Girls Singles -- Krista Hughes of Bowl America Glen Burnie shot a 664.
* Bantam Boys Singles -- Frank Naylor of Greenway Bowl won with a 670 set.
* Major Boys Doubles -- Roy Dietrich and Robby Beall of Bowl America Odenton had a total pin fall of 1,343.
* Major Girls Doubles -- Greenway Bowl's Staci Schmidt and Donna Severin.
* Major Mixed Doubles -- Desiree Parker and Carl Jacoby of Greenway Bowl.
* Junior Boys Doubles -- Robbie Denford and Eric Trequnna of Fair Lanes Ritchie.
* Junior Mixed Doubles -- Fair Lanes Southdale's Jennifer Moore and Ryan Anderson.
* Prep Boys Doubles -- Bowl America Glen Burnie's Fred Walker and Eric Willey.
* Prep Girls Doubles -- Chris Ballard and Tara McCarthy of Southdale hit 1,294 pins.
* Prep Mixed Doubles -- Kevin George and Linda Peters of Southdale.
* Bantam Boys Doubles -- Greenway Bowl's Robert Straughn and Frank Naylor.
* Bantam Mixed Doubles -- Rachel Louderback and Alex Jones of Greenway Bowl.
* All Events Handicap -- Bryan Jelcic of Fair Lanes Southdale took Major Boys first place with 2,067. Kevin Wholey of Greenway Bowl captured first place in Junior Boys with 2,079. Krista Hughes of Bowl America Glen Burnie won the Girls Prep first place with 1,969.
* All Events Scratch -- Major Boys division was won by Jason Fick of Greenway Bowl with 1,901. Major Girls division was captured by Becky Johns of Greenway Bowl with 1,684.
Junior Boys division was taken by Kevin Wholey of Greenway Bowl with 1,737, and Junior Girls division's first place was captured by Jessica Phillips of Fort Meade Bowl.
Bantam Boys first place was won by Matthew Meehan of Bowl America Odenton.
Ryan Anderson of Greenway Bowl took first place in Prep Boys with 1,512, and the Prep Girls winner was Colleen Anderson of Fair Lanes Southdale with 1,237
Ryan Anderson, 11, is in the sixth grade at Corkran Middle School and lives in Glen Burnie.
Bowling for two years, he said, "I got in a little extra practice for the tournament. And I was using my cheater ball, the [12 1/2 -pound] Teal Rhino."
In December he threw his career high game of 278 in the Arundel Travel league.
Colleen Anderson, 11, a sixth-grader at Magothy Middle School, lives in Annapolis. Bowling for five years, she carries a 123 average in the YABA at Fair Lanes Southdale. Last year she won the Prep Girl Doubles event with partner Deborah Paulk.
Jessica Phillips, 14, of Severn is an eighth-grader at MacArthur Middle who has been bowling "for six-seven years." A down-and-in style has earned her a 160 average in the YABA Saturday morning league at Fort Meade; her high game is 253, her high series 613.
"My dad started me bowling," she said, "And I just had a good day [at the tournament]."
Good enough for first in the All Events and a second in the Junior Girl Singles.
Johns, 17, a senior at Glen Burnie High and the president of the Arundel Travel league, bowls at Greenway Odenton. A 10-year veteran, she is looking forward to Essex Community College and its tenpin team, "maybe."
Using a 14-pound bowling ball, she's maintaining an average of 178. Her high game is 243, high set 632.
The third annual Youth Open will be March 27 at Bowl America Odenton. Information: Carole Brady, (301) 621-7008.