Turbos' late goal beats Thunder, 14-13


DETROIT -- The Thunder tried a reversal of fortune, but came up short, losing to the Detroit Turbos, 14-13, in front of 4,112 fans at Joe Louis Arena last night.

There were two goals in the last 14 seconds of regulation, but Duane Jacobs scored the winner with 2.7 seconds left for the Turbos (5-1).

The Thunder (0-6) must win its last two games, both against the New York Saints (1-5), to make the Major Indoor Lacrosse League playoffs.

"We've been building every week," coach Skip Lichtfuss said. "If anyone thinks there is any quit in this team, they are wrong."

"This was our absolute best team effort. We played intense for 60 minutes and held one of the top teams to 14 points. We still have a lot to learn but we're not finished by any means."

The Thunder erased a 9-5, third-quarter deficit, taking an 11-10 -- lead on Brian Kroneberger's goal with 8:55 left in the game.

The Turbos rallied with three consecutive goals before Matt Wilson closed the gap to a goal with 30 seconds left. Moments later, Tim Welsh scored the tying goal with 14 seconds left.

The Turbos' Ted Dowling had seven points -- five goals and two assists.

Needing a victory to stay alive in the playoff hunt, the Thunder began the game doing all the right things: playing sound defense, controlling the fast break and making good decisions.

Making decisions such as resisting the taunting of the Turbos players led to the first goal of the game. Just 52 seconds into the game, Turbos captain Terry Bullen was sent to the penalty box for a personal foul.

The Thunder capitalized.

With 12:30 left in the first quarter, Jeff Jackson sent a pass to Butch Marino, and he scored his first of four goals, through the legs of Turbos goalie Steve Dietrich.

Late in the second quarter, the Thunder could resist no more. After Welsh scored his first goal, making it 5-5, several fights broke out. Jeff Klodzen and Jackson were sent to the penalty box for fighting. Teammate Vince Angotti also received a five-minute penalty for a bench violation.

The Turbos countered with four consecutive goals and seemed to put the Thunder out of reach.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad