Sidney M. Kaplan
Sidney M. Kaplan, a retired electrical engineer and high-technology executive, died Feb. 26 of an aneurysm at Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax, Va., where he lived for many years.
He was 72.
Born and reared in Northwest Baltimore, he attended the Johns Hopkins University and in 1948 earned his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from University of Maryland. He earned a master's degree in history from George Mason University in Fairfax in 1988. At the time of his death, he was studying for a doctorate in the history and philosophy of science and had been an adjunct professor of history at York College in York, Pa., since 1992.
He was a manager of computerized energy conservation projects for Computer Sciences Corp. of Herndon, Va., from 1980 until his retirement in 1986. From 1956 to 1978, he was president and chief executive officer of Peazo Technology Inc. and Systems Inc. in Orlando, Fla. He began his career in 1949 with General Electric Co. as a laboratory section manager in Ithaca, N.Y. He also was a consultant to the Air Force and a liaison with congressional small-business committees.
During World War II, he was a radio communications specialist with the 3186 Signal Service Battalion, Company C, of the Army Signal Corps in the European and Pacific theaters. He was discharged with the rank of staff sergeant in 1946.
At the time of his death, he was writing a textbook on the history of Western civilization.
He was a member of the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Society for the History of Technology. He also was active in the Democratic Party and had been president of the Congregation of Liberal Judaism in Orlando.
He is survived by his wife of 48 years, the former Irene Budlow; two sons, Howard F. Kaplan of Chicago and David R. Kaplan of York, Pa.; two daughters, Phyllis Alexander of Houston and Ellen Kaplan-Maxfield of Boston; two sisters, Charlotte Buckner and Mildred Bernstein, both of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
Services were held Feb. 27 in Baltimore.
William H. Spillane
Public health official
Dr. William H. Spillane, a retired commander in the U.S. Public Health Service who directed the National Institute on Drug Abuse's scientific and program information division, died Feb. 20 of cancer at the Joseph Richey Hospice in Baltimore.
Dr. Spillane, who was 58, moved to Chester on Kent Island after his retirement in 1984.
For a year after retiring from the federal posts, he was executive director of Hope House, an alcoholism-treatment center in Annapolis.
Frederick Ahearn, dean of the School of Social Work at Catholic University and a longtime friend, said Dr. Spillane's responsibilities at the National Institute on Drug Abuse included development of qualifications for grants for drug-abuse treatment programs and development of surveys of drug use among children and adolescents.
He had also been a consultant on drug abuse treatment programs in Talbot County and to the governments of Italy and Thailand.
A native of Baltimore and a graduate of Loyola High School and Loyola College, he earned a master's degree in social work at Catholic University. He earned a master's degree in public health and a doctorate in public health and social work research at the University of Pittsburgh.
He was commissioned in the Public Health Service in 1961.
His marriage to the former Carolyn H. Kijowski ended in divorce.
He is survived by a son, Kevin M. Spillane of Hanover; a daughter, Karen D. Spillane of Largo, Fla.; his mother, Dorothee M. Spillane of Baltimore; two brothers, the Rev. Michael J. Spillane of Washington and Robert T. Spillane of Toronto; and a grandson.
A memorial Mass was offered Feb. 24.
Frank Ely, a retired postmaster, died Feb. 17 of cancer at his home in Santa Ana, Calif., where he had lived for more than 40 years.
The former Middle River resident was 74.
He retired in 1991 as postmaster of the Laguna Beach, Calif., post office. He had been postmaster in Sausalito and Santa Cruz.
He was reared on Wilson Point Road and attended Baltimore County schools. He also attended the Johns Hopkins University while working at the Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River before World War II.
During the war, he served with an Army Medical Corps unit in Italy and was discharged in 1945. He briefly returned to the Martin Co. before moving to California in the late 1940s and going to work for the U.S. Postal Service.
He is survived by his wife, the former Naomi Merian, whom he married in 1940; two sons, Stephen Ely of Santa Ana and 'D Jonathan Ely of Pittsburgh; a daughter, Elisabeth Echelbarger of Fair Oaks, Calif.; a brother, Gordon Ely of Bel Air; a sister, Gladys Moore of Kingsville; and six grandchildren.
Services were held Feb. 21.
Andrew David Funk
Andrew David Funk, a retired television repairman, died Friday of pneumonia at the Wellspring Nursing Home, in the 7300 block Furnace Branch Road, Glen Burnie. He was 73, and had lived at the home for more than two years.
Mr. Funk retired in 1987 after 25 years at Montgomery Ward's central distribution facility on Monroe Street at Washington Boulevard. Before that, he worked for years at Steve's Radio and shop on Merritt Boulevard in Dundalk.
Born in Highlandtown, he attended Our Lady of Pompei Catholic School until the eighth grade, when he left school to get a job. He enlisted in the Maryland National Guard at age 17, and served throughout World War II, landing in Normandy, France, with the famed Maryland 29th Division on D-Day, June 6, 1944.
He returned to Baltimore after the war and worked at Crown Cork and Seal until learning television repair through a correspondence course.
After he retired, he spent much of his time repairing automobiles, appliances, plumbing equipment and anything else that broke for his wife, the former Alice Gall, and other relatives. "He just had a big heart," his daughter Alice W. Mitchell of Pasadena said.
A Mass of Christian burial will offered at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Church of the Good Shepherd, 1451 Furnace Ave., Glen Burnie.
In addition to his wife and daughter, he is survived by a son, Eugene R. Funk of Hanover; two other daughters, Nancy L. Caltrider and Janet B. Combs, both of Glen Burnie; three brothers, Joseph Funk and Michael Funk, both of Baltimore, and David Funk of Erie, Pa.; and three sisters, Gertrude Abbott, Josephine Cohen and Rose Guido, all of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and one great grandchildren.
Ruth E. Henderson
School system worker
Ruth E. Henderson, who retired in 1981 from the Baltimore City school system and was active in church work, died Wednesday of cancer at Joseph Richey Hospice.
Mrs. Henderson, who was 74 and lived on West Franklin Street, worked in an attendance improvement program in the schools for more than 20 years.
She was born Ruth E. Brooks in Baltimore and educated at St. Peter Claver School, Douglass High School and the Community College of Baltimore.
In 1988, St. Bernardine's Catholic Church sponsored a dinner to honor her for her church work. Her work there and earlier at St. Peter Claver had already brought her nicknames and honorary titles, such as Mother Ruth, Mother of the Church, Mom Ruth, and finally Sister Henderson.
At St. Bernardine's Church, she was president of the Gold Dome Senior Club, a founder and first president of the Women's Club, parish council president and corporator.
She started the parish's Women's Day celebration and served ** on its Evangelization Committee. She was a lector and an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 5:30 p.m. today at St. Bernardine's, 3812 Edmondson Ave.
She is survived by her husband of 57 years, Earl W. Henderson; four sons, Harold F. Henderson of Columbia, and Michael A. Henderson, Melvin P. Henderson and Ralph D. Henderson, all of Baltimore; three daughters, Brenda C. Hodges and Francine M. Henderson, both of Baltimore, and Freda R. Henderson of New York City; a sister, Evelyn Wright of Baltimore; a brother, Joe Brooks of Baltimore; and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.