Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Robert E. SandsRetired printerRobert Edward Sands, a...


Robert E. Sands

Retired printer

Robert Edward Sands, a retired printer for The Baltimore Sun, died Thursday of cancer at St. Joseph Hospital, where he had been a patient for about a month. He was 59.

Mr. Sands, who lived in Glen Burnie, worked for nearly 40 years in the newspaper's composing room. He retired several years ago because of illness.

He was an active member of the secular Francisans, an organization of lay people who devote time to prayer and good works. As a secular Franciscan, he was a minister of the Little Flower Fraternity at The Shrine of the Little Flower on Brendan Avenue.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Sands attended elementary school at The Shrine of the Little Flower and was educated in local high schools. He went to work at The Baltimore Sun soon after finishing high school.

He was a member of the International Typographical Union.

A Mass of Christian burial is to be offered at 11 a.m. today at The Shrine of the Little Flower with burial in Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery.

Mr. Sands is survived by his second wife, the former Teresa C. Martel, whom he married in the early 1970s; two sons, Robert Francis Sands and David Wayne Sands, both of Baltimore; a brother, Wayne F. Sands of Towson; and several nephews. His first marriage to Carmela Dodd ended in divorce.

The family suggested contributions could be made to Mother Teresa of Calcutta, in care of Missionaries of Charity, 818 N. Collington Ave., 21205.

Archie Bright Sr.

Retired city worker

Archie Bright Sr., a retired Baltimore City water department employee, died Friday of pneumonia at his home in Harrington, Del. He was 91.

Mr. Bright retired in 1971 as a maintenance operator for the city water department. Before going to work for the city, he operated a Shell gas station in Baltimore.

Born in Harrington, he returned there shortly after his retirement. His wife, Nattie G. Bright, died in 1974.

Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the McKnatt Funeral Home, 50 Commerce St. in Harrington, with burial at the Hollywood Cemetery in Harrington. There will be a visitation from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday at the funeral home.

He is survived by two sons, Archie Bright Jr. and Ralph L. Bright, both of Baltimore; six grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren; and 16 great-great-grandchildren.

Grace B. Aitken

Advertising saleswoman

Grace B. Aitken, who sold advertising space for the publisher of the Baltimore social directory, died Feb. 19 at home of a heart attack. The longtime Towson resident was 81.

She retired in 1977 as an advertising saleswoman for F. Heath Coggins, publisher of the "Blue Book," the Baltimore social directory. Earlier, she had worked as an assistant buyer for Hutzler Bros. department store and as a buyer for Stewart & Co.

The former Grace Wilson was born in Monkton and educated in Baltimore County schools.

She married Arthur C. Aitken, a draftsman, in 1952. He died in 1971.

Survivors include a son, Charles H. Lipscomb of Middle River; a grandson, Charles A. Lipscomb of Bowleys Quarters; two granddaughters, Victoria A. Lipscomb of Towson and Grace A. Waggner of Bowleys Quarters; and three great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 3300 Falls Road, 21211.

Services for Mrs. Aitken were held Thursday at St. James Episcopal Church in Monkton, where she was a member for many years.

Ruth T. A. Lynch

Descendant of Gen. Lee

Ruth Thalmadge Armstrong Lynch, who climbed to the top of the Statue of Liberty when she was in her 70s and rode a motorcycle in her 80s, died Feb. 10 of bladder cancer at Fairhaven. She was 94.

She moved to the Sykesville retirement community in 1986 after living for many years at the Uplands Home for Church Women in Catonsville.

The former Ruth Armstrong, who was descended from "Light Horse" Harry Lee and Robert E. Lee, was born on Sharp Street and reared on West Lanvale Street. She attended city schools and studied at Western High School, where her English teacher was the Baltimore poet Lizette Woodward Reese.

"She never finished high school because she hated the German teacher," said Frances Lynch, a daughter who lives in Baltimore. "So she walked out of school one day and went to work for Dalsheimer's shoe store on Liberty Street.

She and her husband, the Rev. Francis F. Lynch, were married in 1919 when he was a bookkeeper for the United States Fidelity and Guaranty Co. and was studying for the Episcopal priesthood.

After he was ordained in 1926, the couple moved to Harford County where he was appointed rector of Christ Church Rock Spring. After serving churches in Buffalo and Corning, N.Y., the couple returned to Baltimore in 1937, when Mr. Lynch was appointed rector of St. Thomas Episcopal Church on The Alameda. He served as rector of the Church of the Holy Nativity in Forest Park from 1952 until his death in 1959.

"After my father died, [my mother] learned to drive a car at the age of 59 and went to work in Towson for Childrens Aid and Family Services of Maryland until retiring in 1969," said Ms. Lynch.

"She enjoyed spending Sunday afternoons in Druid Hill Park, taking the streetcar downtown to go shopping or to Bayview Park, eating soft crabs at Marconi's or buying peach cake at the Fenwick Bakery," said her daughter.

"She also loved entertaining and cooking such traditional Maryland foods as kidney stew, fried green tomatoes and crab cakes and relaxing at the end of the day with a cocktail of Ancient Age bourbon.

"She was a very independent person and would try anything," said her daughter. "She loved flying and doing offbeat things."

A memorial service is set for 3 p.m. March 27 at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 1108 Providence Road, Towson.

Other survivors include two other daughters, Ruth L. Tracy of Columbia and Laura B. deVries of Las Cruces, N.M.; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be sent to the Christ Church Rock Spring, P.O. Box 215, Forest Hill, 21050 or St. Thomas Episcopal Church.

Florence R. Jackson

Active in church

Florence R. Jackson, who had been active in church and fraternal groups, died of diverticulitis on Feb. 20 at the Deaton Speciality Hospital and Home in Baltimore.

Mrs. Jackson, who was 77 and lived in Millersville, was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and of the United Methodist Women and other groups at the Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church in Severna Park.

The former Florence R. McCullers was a native of Turners Station and was educated in Baltimore County schools. Her husband, Linwood N. Jackson is a retired longshoreman.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include a son, Linwood D. Jackson of Severna Park; three sisters, Mary Davenport of Paterson, N.J., Alva Wilkes of Turners Station and Doris Williams of Baltimore; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Services for Mrs. Jackson were held Friday at the Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church.

Helen K. Stevens

Memorial service planned

A memorial service for Helen K. Stevens, a retired Gilman School teacher who died Feb. 5, will be held at 4 p.m. March 26 in the Alumni Auditorium of the school, 5407 Roland Ave.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad