Around the house
* Deodorize garbage disposal. Cut a lemon in quarters and drop into disposal, then turn it on.
* Loosen stains from carpet immediately with a drop of water or an ice cube. This will prevent deeper staining when nothing else is available.
* Keep gloves and mittens in a basket close to your front door. Clip pairs together with clothespins.
* Sanitize wooden and plastic cutting boards. Dip in a solution of 2 teaspoons chlorine bleach per quart of water. Let sit about 15 minutes; rinse thoroughly and dry.
* Reduce calories in foods. Use less sugar in desserts by increasing the amount of cinnamon or vanilla to enhance sweetness.
* Unplug appliances -- especially microwave ovens and TVs -- when they are not in use. The appliances can catch on fire if struck by lightning during a storm.
In the garden
* Brush off snow from evergreens. Snow and ice may make boughs bend and break.