An auto mechanic at a Jessup body shop was severely burned yesterday morning when gas and sparks from an electric saw ignited his shirt.
John Terry, whose address is unknown, was listed yesterday in satisfactory condition at the Francis Scott Key Burn Center, where he was treated for second-degree burns to his chest, abdomen and groin.
Fire and rescue officials said Mr. Terry was sawing a fender at the Fremont Auto Parts Inc. in the 8100 block of U.S. 1 at 7 a.m. when the combination of leaking saw oil and sparks caused his shirt to catch fire.
* Jessup: 8800 block of Willowwood Way: Someone tried to break through a front door by smashing a deadbolt lock Monday but failed to enter, police said.
* North Laurel: 9400 block of Riverbrink Court: A resident saw three men trying to drive off in a stolen 1984 Honda CRX just after midnight Saturday, but the car became stuck in the snow.