Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

No. 2 Southwestern upset by No. 17 Walbrook, 72-69


With the state 4A tournament approaching, Walbrook, a team on the bubble, has to do what it has been unable to do all season: play consistently.

The No. 17 Warriors made a small, yet important, step in changing that yesterday, upsetting visiting and No. 2 Southwestern, 72-69, in a Baltimore City 4A League game.

Junior swingman Travon Broadway scored 21 points and pulled down seven rebounds for the Warriors (8-8, 6-3). Antwon Jenifer added 19 and seven rebounds. Haywood Eaddy led Southwestern with 23 points, and Aaron Jolly had 13.

For the third straight game, it came down to the closing seconds for Southwestern (13-2, 5-2), which knocked off Southern-Baltimore at the buzzer two weeks ago and lost last Tuesday to Lake Clifton.

With eight seconds left, Donnie Joy inbounded to Eaddy, who drove down the middle of the court. He got past half-court, then passed to his right to Reginald Johnson, who passed to the baseline to Jolly.

Jolly drove to the basket, but his right foot hit the line before he put up a shot with two seconds left.

Joy was called for an intentional foul on Richard Harris, who hit a free throw and Walbrook ran out the remaining seconds.

"I can still tell you I don't know what to expect from these guys next," said Walbrook coach Gus Herrington. "Today, they really wanted to play well."

Broadway, who scored nine points in the final quarter, hit a right baseline jumper with 49 seconds left to give Walbrook a 70-69 lead.

With 34 seconds left, Southwestern called a timeout. When play resumed, Eaddy was called for pushing off on a drive to the basket. Eaddy fouled Marvin Matthews on the other end with 22 seconds remaining.

Matthews missed the front end of the one-and-one, but a jump ball gave possession back to the Warriors on alternating possessions. With 11 seconds left, Joy fouled Broadway, who hit the first free throw, then missed the second. Jolly grabbed the rebound and Southwestern called timeout with eight seconds left.

"The worst thing [that] has happened to us [was] that Southern win because we haven't been the same," said Southwestern coach Terry Leverett. "In pressure situations we have been striking out, and we're not playing with that same fire."

The Sabers, who will meet Southern today at 3:30, defeated the Warriors in their first meeting three weeks ago in the final seconds.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad