Copeland Morton Jr.Corporate executiveCopeland Morton Jr., retired...


Copeland Morton Jr.

Corporate executive

Copeland Morton Jr., retired corporate secretary of the Maryland Casualty Co., died Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications after surgery. He was 83.

The Homeland resident retired in 1975. He had joined the insurance company after his graduation from Harvard Law School in 1934.

Morton Jr. Known to his friends as Copie, the Baltimore native attended Calvert School, Gilman School, where he was a member of the class of 1927, and Princeton University, from which he graduated in 1931.

He served in the Judge Advocate General's Corps in the Army during World War II, reaching the rank of lieutenant colonel.

In addition to his work at Maryland Casualty, he maintained a law practice, specializing in taxes and estates, which he continued until late last year.

A former member of the vestry of Christ Episcopal Church, he had been secretary of the Christ Church Foundation. He was a subscriber of the Bachelors Cotillon.

Mr. Morton was an Orioles fan and a stamp collector. A golfer, he was a member of the Elkridge Club and the Sankaty Head Golf Club on Nantucket, where he was a summer resident.

A daughter, Marianne Morton, said her father was a raconteur who liked to tell stories about his family and friends. "He had a phenomenal memory and remembered every detail," she said.

His first wife, the former Virginia Lee, died in 1967.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Episcopal Cathedral of the Incarnation, 2 E. University Parkway.

He is survived by his wife, the former Ann Humphreys; three daughters, Virginia Morton and Sally Morton, both of Baltimore, and Marianne Morton of Madison, Wis.; two stepdaughters, Ann Copp of New Haven, Conn., and Janie Humphreys of Antigonish, Nova Scotia; a stepson, Curtis Humphreys of Dallas; a brother, Edward Morton of Baltimore; a sister, Frances Froelicher of Baltimore; three grandchildren; and four step-grandchildren. David I. Dresser, a former executive of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died after a heart attack Saturday night at his home in Columbus, Ohio. He was 64.

Mr. Dresser worked at HUD from the Nixon administration through the Reagan administration. During the Carter administration, he helped set up and administer the Urban Development Action Grant program, winning several commendations for his work.

Mr. Dresser was born in Pittsburgh and grew up in Akron, Ohio. He attended Marquette University on a Naval Reserve Officer's Training Corps scholarship and served in the amphibious fleet during the Korean War.

He enjoyed telling the story of how, during his Navy career, he became known through the entire Pacific fleet after an eccentric captain decided the ship needed a 'birthday card officer' and tapped Mr. Dresser for the chore of making sure every sailor received a card on his birthday. He was discharged in 1955 as a lieutenant junior grade.

After leaving the Navy, Mr. Dresser worked with Motorola Corp. in Chicago in a series of executive positions, the last of which was as liaison with the Federal Communications Commission in Washington.

In 1971, he moved to HUD in an executive interchange program. At the end of his leave of absence from Motorola, he decided to stay with HUD.

In the late 1970s, he was a liaison between HUD and the National League of Cities. In 1982 he moved to Columbus to be its mayor's executive assistant for economic development. Later, he operated his own consulting business and was vice president of Miller & Schroeder Financial.

Most recently, Mr. Dresser was program development director for the Community Shelter Board, an organization that works with the homeless in Columbus.

Mr. Dresser was known to his friends as a gourmet cook.

His 1952 marriage to the former Mary Therese Rakers ended in divorce in 1979.

A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. today at the O'Shaughnessy Funeral Home in Columbus.

He is survived by his wife, the former Karen Kerns of Urbana, Ohio, whom he married in 1980; four sons, Michael Dresser of Columbia, Md., a reporter for The Sun, Charles Dresser of Diamond Bar, Calif., David Dresser of San Jose, Calif., and Christopher Dresser of Clearwater, Fla.; two daughters, Jeanne Dresser of Baltimore and Mary K. Dresser of Clearwater; a sister, Betty Heller of Akron; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial donations to The Open Shelter, 370 W. State St., Columbus, Ohio, or to a program for the homeless in the giver's hometown.

Richard J. Tretter

Electronics inspector

Richard J. Tretter, a retired electronics quality control inspector, died Thursday at St. Agnes Hospital of a pulmonary embolism. He was 67.

Mr. Tretter lived on Glenwood Avenue in Catonsville. He retired in 1991 from Litton Industries and had worked in electronic quality control for several other companies.

He was a native of Marshalltown, Iowa.

In World War II, he was an Army infantryman in Europe. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and his decorations included the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After moving to the Baltimore area, he served in the Navy in the Korean War.

He was a founding member of American Legion Post 46 in Marshalltown. He became active in several Boy Scout troops as an assistant scout master and was the scoutmaster of Troop 180.

As a member of the Baltimore Grotto of the National Speleological Society, he enjoyed exploring caves in West Virginia and Virginia.

He was a volunteer worker at St. Martin's Home, Jenkins Memorial Home and My Brother's Keeper, a shelter for the homeless.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Roman Catholic Church, Old Frederick Road and Monastery Avenue.

He is survived by his wife, the former Patricia D. Sample; a son, fTC Michael Tretter of Severna Park; a daughter, Joan French of Baltimore; two brothers, John Tretter and Elmer Snider, both of Marshalltown; and three grandchildren.

George E. Hall

Electrical engineer

George E. Hall, a retired electrical engineer, died Saturday of a stroke at North Arundel Hospital. He was 73.

He retired in 1986 from Westinghouse where he had been employed since 1956. He briefly worked for a Curtis Bay steelmaker as an electrician from 1986 to 1989.

Born in Baltimore and reared in the Hanover section of Anne Arundel County, he was a 1938 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. After graduation, he moved to New York and went to work as a lineman for New York Telephone and Telegraph.

He served in the Army during World War II and participated in the Italian campaign. Discharged in 1949, he joined the New York National Guard in 1950 and in 1951 was sent to Korea. He was discharged a second time in 1953.

Mr. Hall earned his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Indiana Institute of Technology in Fort Wayne in 1956 and began his career with Westinghouse that year.

He was active in Scouting and the Odenton Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 209. He was a member of the American Legion and the Anne Arundel County Council of PTAs for many years.

He enjoyed railroading in his leisure time and built a model railroad.

The former Eveline Hunt of Ottisville, N.Y., whom he married in 1940, died in 1976.

He married the former Mary Ryan in 1977. She died in 1988.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. today at Messiah United Methodist Church, Furnace Branch Road in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Hall is survived by a son, George E. Hall of Hanover.

The family suggested memorial donations to the Gideons.

Eva Lynch High

Former math teacher

Eva Lynch High, a former math teacher at Franklin High School in Reisterstown, died Friday of Alzheimer's disease at Church Home in Baltimore. She was 89.

Mrs. High began as a math teacher in 1948 at Franklin High, where she later became head of the math department. She retired in 1970.

The West Virginia native moved to Baltimore as a child.

She majored in mathematics at Western Maryland College, receiving her bachelor's degree in 1927.

She and J. Norman High were married in 1928. Mr. High died in 1986.

Mrs. High had stopped teaching to rear their two daughters and a son, but resumed her teaching career in Baltimore County in 1946. She joined the faculty of Franklin High in 1948.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Eline Funeral Home, 11824 Reisterstown Road, Reisterstown.

Mrs. High is survived by two daughters, Janet H. Lewis of Reisterstown and Dorothy H. Peltzer of Upperco; and a son, John N. High Jr. of Beckley, W.Va.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Alzheimer's Association of Central Maryland, 540 E. Belvedere Ave., Baltimore 21212.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad