You may think the North Pole has drifted south when you drive past the St. John Lutheran Church Co-Operative Nursery School on Maple Road.
The 4-year-old children there have been collecting empty milk jugs, then cutting and melding them together into a 4-foot-high igloo.
The children used 263 milk jugs for the school project.
Jane Soverns, director and teacher at the nursery school, said the idea started with a story the children were reading about a penguin who hated cold weather and lived in an igloo.
The igloo is big enough for the children to crawl and play in. And having to drink all that milk fit in perfectly with Dental Health Month.
* The school is having registration for next year at 1 p.m. March 10 at the school. Interested parents of 3- and 4-year-olds should call the registrar, Robin Harrington at 859-5158.
Second- and fourth-graders at Linthicum Elementary School recently got a feel for what it was like to live in Colonial times.
During Pioneer Day, the children dressed, ate and participated in many activities that demonstrated the lifestyle of that era.
Under the direction of Betty Jackson of Betty's Trunks Inc., the children experienced first-hand how the early settlers lived. They wrote with quill pens, made wallpaper prints, ground corn and coffee and dipped candles. Each child also made a corn husk doll.
For lunch they sat down to a meal of pioneer stew, applesauce, corn bread muffins, fried chicken and homemade butter -- all of which they helped prepare.
Social studies teachers Robert Gardinier and Cheryl Bissell coordinated Pioneer Day with the help of many parent volunteers.
Two neighborhood churches are having services and programs this week to begin the Lenten season.
* St. Christopher's Episcopal Church will observe the traditional Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow. The menu will feature pancakes, sausage, applesauce and a beverage.
The event is being sponsored by the men's group, the women's group and the Young People's Fellowship. A free-will offering will be accepted.
Ash Wednesday liturgies will be celebrated at 10 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.
St. Christopher's is off West Maple Road, between Camp Meade and Hammonds Ferry Roads in Linthicum.
For more information, please call the parish office at 859-5633.
* St. Philip Neri Church will celebrate Mass on Ash Wednesday at 6:15 a.m., 9 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Masses during Lent are scheduled for 6:30 a.m., 9 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Friday, Mass will be celebrated at 6:30 a.m. and 9 a.m., with Stations of the Cross and Benediction at 7:30 p.m. The Saturday Mass schedule is 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
St. Philip Neri is at 6505 Orchard Road.
Parents of students in North Glen Elementary School have until March 1 to join the Parent Teachers Association.
A single membership is $3, or $5 for a family membership.
You may send your money to the school office marked to the attention of Pam Rogers, PTA membership chairwoman.
* Parents are reminded that Feb. 28 is the last day to send in Campbell Soup labels for school programs.
* Students will be wearing red and white and a heart for School Spirit Day on Wednesday. They will be encouraged to make another heart for display in the lobby.
The Parent Teacher Student Association executive meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 22 in the conference room of North County High School.
Plans for the spring flea market will be discussed. The flea market will take place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 9.
Tables are being rented for $15. If interested in renting one, call 761-3935.