A choral evensong in memory of L. Gatewood Segar, organist and choirmaster at St. David's Episcopal Church in Roland Park from 1950 to 1963, will be sung at 4 p.m. today at Old St. Paul's Church, Charles and Saratoga streets.
Mr. Segar died Nov. 20 after a heart attack at his home in Elkridge Estates. He was 86.
He was a native of Warsaw, Va., and came to Baltimore in the late 1920s.
He became assistant to the organist and choirmaster of St. Paul's School and then organist and choirmaster of St. Paul the Apostle Church, then an affiliate of Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church known as St. Paul's Chapel and Guild House.
He left there to serve in the Army during World War II.
In addition to his church work, he taught piano privately, at St. Paul's and other schools.
He studied at the Peabody Conservatory in the late 1920s and again in the late 1940s.
Fond of bridge, he was also a storyteller who was described by the Rev. William N. McKeachie, the rector of St. Paul's, as a "a walking history of Baltimore." Another friend described him as "kindness personified."
He had been a member of Old St. Paul's Parish since coming to Baltimore.
Graveside services were held Nov. 24 at Druid Ridge Cemetery.
He is survived by his wife, the former Aileen Clark; a stepson, Joseph G. Clarkson of Baltimore; a brother, G. Barron Segar of the Northern Neck area of Virginia;, three grandchildren; a niece; and a nephew.