THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Patricia L. QuinnPreschool teacherPatricia L. Quinn, a...


Patricia L. Quinn

Preschool teacher

Patricia L. Quinn, a preschool teacher, died Jan. 25 of cancer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She was 38.

Mrs. Quinn, who lived on Maplewood Road in Idlewylde, most recently had worked for nearly eight months as a clerk at Wicklein's Aquatic Farm & Nursery.

For nearly five years before that, she had taught in a preschool program at Reformation Lutheran Church. She first taught in a similar program at Stoneleigh Elementary School, which she attended.

Born in Baltimore, the former Patricia Loik graduated from Dumbarton Junior High School and Towson High School. She attended Towson State University.

She was a volunteer at the Spring Festival and other events at St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church, and at the Baltimore American Indian Center.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 2 p.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues in Towson.

She is survived by her husband, Gerald Quinn; a son, Gerard Quinn, and a daughter, Gloria Bernadette Quinn; her parents, Gloria and Peter Loik of Idlewylde; and two sisters, Pamela Sparoco of Baltimore and Christina Reichert of Buffalo, N.Y.

Anthony A. Lipton, a real estate investor who attended the University of Notre Dame on a baseball scholarship, died Tuesday at St. Agnes Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Lipton, who was 67 and lived in Arbutus, had been in the real estate business since he was a young man.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School where he played basketball and was an end and a quarterback on the football team and a pitcher on the baseball team.

After serving in the Army at the end of World War II, he earned a business degree at Notre Dame.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church, 4416 Wilkens Ave., Arbutus.

Mr. Lipton is survived by two sisters, Eleanor Jankunas of Annapolis and Joan Hofmann of Elkridge; two brothers, John Lipton of Baltimore and Edward Lipton of Catonsville; four nephews; and three nieces.

Henry A. Lee

Retired sea captain

Henry A. Lee, a retired sea captain, died Tuesday of pneumonia at the Bay Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center in Panama City, Fla. He was 87.

The former Ednor Gardens resident had moved to Florida in 1984.

Born in Superior, Wis., he was reared by his grandparents in Norway after his mother's death and, after graduating in 1930 from a Norwegian maritime academy, entered the maritime service.

In 1943, a Norwegian merchant vessel on which Mr. Lee was serving was torpedoed by a German U-boat in the South Atlantic. Rescued after some time in a lifeboat, the surviving crewmen were taken by ship to New York, where Mr. Lee learned that he was an American citizen. He joined the U.S. Merchant Marine, serving until the end of the war.

After the war, he earned his master's ticket and sailed ships for Lykes Bros. and Waterman Steamship Co. He also worked on tugs of the Curtis Bay Towing Co.

His first wife, the former Evelyn Hawn of Baltimore whom he married in 1945, urged him to give up the sea, and he retired in 1956. She died in 1980.

He worked for a Dodge and Chrysler dealer on Kirk Avenue near 25th Street and later as a house painter, retiring again in 1978.

His son, Robert F. "Skip" Lee of Baltimore, said, "He loved the sea, and it is hard for a person like that to be set on the land. His first love was really ships and the ocean."

Services were set for today in Florida.

In addition to his son, survivors include his wife, Marian Gibson, whom he married in 1980; three other sons, Szein Lien, Gunner Lien and John Lien, all of Norway; three stepdaughters, Kathy Hallford of Panama City and Marie Scott and Midge Peddicord, both of Baltimore; and 14 grandchildren.

Howard J. Coster

Retired carpenter

Howard J. Coster, a retired carpenter, died Thursday at his home in Perry Hall of a liver illness. He was 72.

He retired about 10 years ago after working for contractors through a carpenters union hiring hall.

Born in Perry Hall, he served in the Army Air Forces as a gunner on bombers in the European Theater during World War II.

He belonged to the Overlea-Perry Hall Post of the American Legion.

A Mass of Christian burial is to be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 8420 Belair Road, Fullerton.

His first wife, the former Eunice Simms, died in 1982.

He is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Stager Nossel; a daughter, Kathy Coster of Baltimore; a son, Tom Coster of Bay St. Louis, Miss.; two stepdaughters, Mary Nossel of Towson and Kathy Nossel Klausmeier of Perry Hall; two stepsons, Jim Nossel of Parkville and Joe Nossel of Perry Hall; four brothers, Bernard, Clarence, Paul and Wilbur Coster, and three sisters, Margaret Boothe, Ethel Guetler and Thelma Gebhardt, all of Perry Hall; and eight grandchildren.

E. Bennett Bowen

School principal

E. Bennett Bowen, who taught for 47 years and was a principal in Baltimore County schools, died Wednesday of heart failure at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

He was 98 and lived in Owings Mills at the home of a cousin, Gary E. Warren, his wife, Linda J. Warren, and their three children.

He retired in 1965 as a teacher at Franklin Junior High School but continued to work there as a substitute teacher for 18 years.

From 1918 until going to Franklin in 1949, Mr. Bowen was a teacher, principal or both at Foreston, Dover Road, Halethorpe, Fullerton, Colgate and Owings Mills elementary schools.

A native of Rockland, he was a graduate of Franklin Senior High School in Reisterstown and of what is now Towson State University. He earned a bachelor's degree at Johns Hopkins University, a master's degree at Columbia University and did more graduate work at the University of Chicago and Temple University.

Services were planned for 9:30 a.m. today at the Eline Funeral Home, 11824 Reisterstown Road, Reisterstown.

He is survived by many other cousins.


Celius L. Brown

Bank president

Celius L. Brown, an official of a bank started by his father, died Wednesday of respiratory disease at the Northwest Hospital Center. The Sykesville resident was 86.

Mr. Brown had been associated with the Sykesville State Bank from 1947 until 1974 and was its president for the last 11 of those years. Then, for 10 years he chaired the Carroll County Advisory Board of Maryland National Bank, with which the Sykesville bank, which had been started by his father, had merged.

Before going to work at the bank, he and a brother worked with their father in a general store, A. C. Brown & Sons. He had also been a partner in another general store, Forsyth & Brown.

Born in Sykesville, Mr. Brown lived in the same house for most of his life and was a graduate of Sykesville High School and the Baltimore Business College.

From 1964 until 1973, he was a member of the Carroll County Planning and Zoning Commission, serving as chairman for all but the first four years. He also represented the county on the Regional Planning Council.

Mr. Brown was a member of the Sykesville Board of Zoning Appeals and, from the late 1940s to the late 1950s, secretary-treasurer of the Town Council.

He was a life member of the Carroll County Historical Society and served on the boards of the Carroll County General Hospital, the local unit of the American Automobile Association, and the Carroll County Mental Health Association.

He was a life member and the first secretary of the Sykesville Volunteer Fire Company, the first treasurer of the Sykesville Community Little League and a charter member of the Eldersburg Improvement Association.

He had been a member of the Freedom Lodge of the Masons for more than 60 years and was a former patron of the Freedom Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and a member of the Scottish Rite, Boumi Temple and the Western Maryland Shrine Club.

He was a member for 50 years of the Sykesville Rotary Club. He had been president of the group and was named a Paul Harris Fellow.

Mr. Brown collected antique automobiles, at one time owning a 1912 Model T Ford and a 1934 Ford, and was a member of the Antique Automobile Club of Greater Baltimore and the Antique Auto Club of America.

Services were planned for 11 a.m. today at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Sykesville, where he was a life member with 75 years of continuous active membership, the most in the congregation.

He is survived by his wife, the former Mildred Flohr; a daughter, Anita M. Brown of Timonium; a son, C. Todd Brown of Sykesville; four grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Florence M. Gooch

Store manager

Florence M. Gooch, a manager and buyer for women's shops in La Jolla, Calif., died Sunday of complications of leukemia at Union Memorial Hospital. She was 83.

She had lived in the Baltimore area for more than 20 years, first in the Village of Cross Keys and since September at Roland Park Place.

She was born Florence Miller in Crete, Neb., and graduated from Ward Belmont Academy in Nashville, Tenn., and the University of Nebraska.

Her husband, G. Amsden Gooch, a retired aeronautical engineer, died last February.

Services were planned for 3 p.m. today at St. John's Episcopal Church, 3738 Butler Road, Glyndon.

Mrs. Gooch is survived by two daughters, Susan G. Russell of Cockeysville and Mary G. Armour of Colorado Springs, Colo.; six grand children; and a great-granddaughter.

Charles A. Carson

Sales manager

Charles A. Carson, a retired printing sales manager and a former resident of the Baltimore area, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Colonia, N.J.

Mr. Carson, who was 72 and moved to New Jersey 29 years ago, retired eight years ago from the packaging division of the Case-Hoyt Co. with headquarters in Rochester, N.Y. Earlier, he worked for the Lord Baltimore Press in Baltimore and in New York.

Born in Severna Park he attended Severn School and graduated from Annapolis High School. He served in the Navy during World War II.

A bass baritone, he had leading roles in productions of the Alamedian Light Opera Company in the 1940s and 1950s and sang in the choir at Old St. Pauls Episcopal Church and as a soloist at weddings and other events.

He was a member of the American Legion in Colonia.

Services for Mr. Carson will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at the Gosselin Funeral Home in Edison, N.J.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Patricia Fraile; two sons, Robert C. Carson, of Columbia Heights, Minn., and John M. Carson, of South River, N.J.; four daughters, Kathleen Stone of Baltimore, Carol Edmonds of Iselin, N.J., Joan Garby of Greer, S.C., and Barbara Coughlin of Natick, Mass; and nine grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad