A. C. Goodall Jr.Factory workerAndrew C. Goodall...


A. C. Goodall Jr.

Factory worker

Andrew C. Goodall Jr., a factory worker, died Friday of a heart attack at his Glen Burnie residence. He was 45.

He had been employed for the past two years by Worthington Armstrong Venture, a ceiling grid manufacturer on North Point Boulevard. Earlier, he was a warehouseman for Professional Products in Essex, distributors of hair care products.

He was born and reared in Dundalk and was a 1967 graduate of Sparrows Point High School. He served in the Army in Germany and, after being discharged in 1974, went to work as a warehouseman.

A former resident of Edgemere, he enjoyed working on old automobiles and attending flea markets, where he bought and sold antique furniture and clocks.

He was a member of St. Luke Roman Catholic Church in Edgemere and a volunteer at the Fort Howard Veterans Hospital.

Services are set for 11 a.m. today at Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie, with interment at Glen Haven Memorial Park.

He is survived by his wife of 11 years, the former Helen M. Hardesty of Baltimore; a daughter, Rebecca J. Goodall of Glen Burnie; a brother, Lyle Goodall of Toledo, Ohio; and two sisters, Beatrice Lamar of Essex and Diane Austin of French Creek, W.Va.

Goldye Rubin

Baltimore native, 92

Goldye Rubin, a member of various organizations in Baltimore, died Jan. 9 at Sinai Hospital after a heart attack. She was 92.

The Levindale resident was a member of the Beacon Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, the Sisterhood of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah.

The former Goldye Levinson was born in Baltimore and attended public schools. Her father operated a dry goods store and a real estate business near Little Italy.

Her husband of more than 40 years, Julius M. Rubin, who had been a furniture salesman and later a partner in R-Ways, a Harford Road furniture store, died in 1972.

She is survived by three daughters, Floraine B. Applefeld of Baltimore, Frankie Bloom of Dover, Del., and Sonia Benser of Glen Burnie; a son, Harold H. Rubin of Philadelphia; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Services were Jan. 11. Memorial donations may be made to the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation Sisterhood or a charity.

Ferdinand Einschutz

County official

Ferdinand J. Einschutz, retired director of central services for Baltimore County and a former potentate of Boumi Temple, died Saturday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center of heart failure and pneumonia. He was 73.

Known as Ferd, the Rosedale resident retired in 1980 after 30 years with the county. He began his career as assistant treasurer and was acting treasurer before the post was abolished by the County Charter that was adopted in 1956.

He was a member of the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, the Purchasing Management Association of Baltimore and the Maryland Public Finance Officers Association, and the board of Fairmount Federal Savings Bank.

He was a member of the Jephthah Lodge of the Masons and the Scottish Rite and was potentate of Boumi Temple in 1989.

He was founder and former president of the Rosedale Square Club, a member of the Royal Order of Jesters, the Boumi Temple's Scimeter Club, Ambassadors, Golf Club, Campers, Towson Shrine Club and Dundalk Shrine Club, of which he had been president.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of Kenwood High School and the Johns Hopkins University, where he earned an accounting degree. He served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a longtime member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Prince of Peace of Rosedale, a life member of the Rosedale Post of the American Legion and the first president and board member for many years of the Twin District Democratic Club of Rosedale and Vicinity.

Services are to be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Lassahn Funeral Home, 7401 Belair Road in Overlea.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Romayne E. Anderson; a daughter, Patricia L. Childress of Forest Hill; a brother, Louis E. Einschutz of Rosedale; and two grandchildren.

Edward Knight, who drove trucks for the Pennsylvania Railroad, died Friday of heart disease at his home in Wallingford, Pa. He was 70 and had moved from Baltimore to Wallingford three years ago.

He retired in 1968 after 21 years with the railroad.

A native of Warrenton, N.C., he served in the Army during World War II and came to Baltimore as a young man.

He was a former president of the senior usher board of the First Baptist Church of Cherry Hill. He joined Calvary Baptist Church in Chester after moving to Pennsylvania.

His wife, the former Laura Sommerville, died in 1980.

Services are set for 7:30 p.m. today at the First Baptist Church of Cherry Hill, 823 Cherry Hill Road, Baltimore.

He is survived by a daughter, Rosell Knight, and a son, Floyd Knight, both of Wallingford; two sisters, Susie Alston of Baltimore and Clara Cooper of Warrenton; and a granddaughter.

Donald E. Shay

Taught microbiology

Donald E. Shay, retired professor of microbiology at the University of Maryland dental school, died Jan. 6 of cancer at his home in Linthicum Heights. He was 80.

He retired in 1980 as chairman of the department and as assistant dean for biological sciences. He started teaching at UM in 1945, when his department served both the dental and pharmacy schools.

He was a former secretary of the American Society of Microbiology and for 10 years after his retirement was chairman of its archives committee. He established a center for the history of microbiology at the University of Maryland Baltimore County that was dedicated in 1991.

He was also a member of the International Union of Microbiological Societies.

Born in Lebanon, Pa., he was a graduate of Lebanon Valley College and earned his master's degree and doctorate in microbiology at the University of Maryland College Park.

During World War II, he taught at Muhlenberg College in a program for future military doctors and dentists.

He was a member of the Linthicum Heights United Methodist Church, the Concordia Lodge of the Masons, the Scottish Rite and Boumi Temple.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Sara Frances Ferrell; a daughter, Mary Louisa Rutledge of Salisbury; a brother, Earl J. Shay of Lebanon; a sister, Mildred Walker of Dallas; and two grandsons.

A son, Air Force Maj. Donald E. Shay Jr., was declared missing in action in Southeast Asia in 1970.

Services were held Jan. 9.

Lynwood P. Tyree

C&P; supervisor

Lynwood Peyton Tyree, a retired Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. supervisor, died Wednesday of heart failure at Veterans Medical Center in Baltimore. He was 67.

He had lived in Pasadena for 48 years and had worked in the phone company's Baltimore office for 34 years. He retired in 1985.

He was a member of the Glen Burnie Masonic Lodge No. 213, Pasadena United Methodist Church and the Maryland Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

He was born in Lynchburg, Va. During World War II, he was drafted into the Army at age 18 and served three years in the South Pacific.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Juanita Dillon; a sister, Dorothy Cunningham of Lynchburg; a daughter, Bonnie Wagner; and a granddaughter, Lisa McLeod, both of Pasadena.

Funeral services were held yesterday.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad