Freshman Mark Karcher scored a game-high 21 points, leading No. 13 St. Frances past No. 18 Mount St. Joseph, 62-54, in a Catholic League opening game at the University of Baltimore last night.
Trailing 23-19 at halftime, the Panthers (5-3, 1-0) outscored the Gaels (6-7, 0-1) 23-11 to take a 42-34 lead after three quarters.
Darrell Dantzler added 14 for the Panthers. Daniel Whye led Mount St. Joseph with 17 points.
* Mount Hebron 66, Howard 50: Kurtis Jestes scored 24 points and Mark Jensen added 16 as host and No. 12 Mount Hebron (9-0, 1-0) defeated Howard (3-6, 0-1) in a Howard County League game.
* Lake Clifton 107, Mervo 65: Shawnta Rogers had a triple double for No. 5 Lake Clifton (6-2) in its victory over Mervo in a Baltimore City game. Rogers had 11 points, 10 rebounds and 15 assists. Reggie Frazier had 27 points and Terrance Payne had 26 points and 11 rebounds for the Lakers.
* Gibbons 70, Towson Catholic 45: Steve Wojciechowski scored 22 points and Jerard Rucker added 13, leading No. 6 Gibbons (10-4, 1-0) past host Towson Catholic (1-7, 0-1) in a Catholic League opener. Konata Springer led Towson Catholic with 11 points.
* Woodlawn 112, Parkville 40: All 14 players scored for No. 4 Woodlawn (9-0, 6-0) as it ran its regular-season winning streak to 33 games, defeating Parkville in a Baltimore County 3A-4A League game.
Andre Vaughn scored 20 and Keion Carpenter 18 for the Warriors. Steve Jackson (12), Guy Butler (11) and Eric Parker (10) also scored in double figures.
* Milford Mill 89, Owings Mills 36: Blanchard Hurd had 28 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots, leading No. 8 Milford Mill (7-0) over Owings Mills in a Baltimore County 1A-2A League game.
* Oakland Mills 81, Centennial 73: Michael Hill scored 32 and grabbed eight rebounds as Oakland Mills (4-3, 1-0) defeated Centennial in a Howard County League game. The Scorpions converted 30 of 40 free throws.
Kurt Weitzel scored 19 to top the Eagles.
* Mount Carmel 69, Rock Church 51: Lloyd St. Rose scored 28 and Jason McKinney added 19, leading Mount Carmel (3-7, 1-2) past visiting Rock Church in a Maryland Scholastic Association C Conference game.
* Arlington Baptist 69, Calvary Chapel 16: Leonard Morgan, a senior forward, scored 12 and had 13 rebounds to lead Arlington Baptist (10-3, 3-1) past host Calvary Chapel.
Junior guard Ziyad Brown added nine and sophomore forward Chuck Edwards added eight for the winners.
* St. Mary's 55, St. Paul's 46: Senior guard Mark Kiefer had 21 points, seven rebounds, five steals and three assists to lead St. Mary's (3-7) over St. Paul's in an MSA B Conference game.
* Hammond 72, Wilde Lake 56: Irvin Conwell scored 19 to lead visiting Hammond past Wilde Lake (2-6) in a Howard County League game.
Malik Clopton and Terrance Butler each had 12 to lead Wilde Lake (2-6).
* Eastern Tech 85, Patapsco 53: Chip Pross and Wardell Selby each scored 19 points as visiting Eastern Tech scored 51 first-half points in its Baltimore County 1A-2A League victory over Patapsco (3-5).
Glenn Umbarger added 14 for the Mavericks, who led 77-41 after three periods. Scott Hierstetter led Patapsco with 13 points.
* Dulaney 77, Lansdowne 66: Elliott Smalls scored 20 to lead five double-digit scorers as Dulaney defeated host Lansdowne (1-8) in a Baltimore County 3A-4A League game. Andy Stocksdale and Kenny Clay each scored 19 to lead Lansdowne.
Clay also had nine rebounds and 10 assists.
* Glenelg Country School 42, Sandy Spring Friends 40: Junior guard Kofi Kankam had 16 points, five steals, and four assists to lead Glenelg Country School (2-1) over Sandy Spring Friends (2-6).
* Southern-AA 84, Severna Park 63: Chatney Howard scored 35 points, leading No. 7 Southern-AA past host Severna Park in an Anne Arundel County game. Eddie Paddy added 16 for the Bulldogs. David Orso and Devin Phillips scored 14 each for Severna Park.
* Severn 66, Gilman 64: Alhamisi Simms, a junior guard, scored 19 points to lead No. 15 Severn (13-2, 5-0) past visiting Gilman, in a MSA B Conference intra-divisional game. James Carpenter, a senior guard, added 15 for the winning team and junior forward Jamand Mack added 11 rebounds for the Admirals. Jimmy Fields led Gilman with 29.
* Meade 63, North County 53: Senior forward D'Andre Highers had 19 points to lead Meade (6-3) over visiting North County, in an Anne Arundel 4A League game.
* Arundel 93, Northeast 63: Sean Soyars scored 29 points to lead visiting and No. 14 Arundel (6-3) past Northeast (5-8), in an Anne Arundel County game. Kevin Higgins added 18 for the Wildcats. Todd O'Brien led Northeast with 15 points.
* South River 63, Chesapeake-AA 51: Corey Davis scored a game-high 33 points leading South River (6-1, 5-0) past visiting Chesapeake (2-5), in an Anne Arundel County League game. Russell Tongue added 10 and 14 rebounds for South River. Jeffrey Goff scored 25 points to lead Chesapeake.
* McDonogh 95, Friends 59: Bobby Sabelhaus scored 20 points and Tom Layden added 17, leading McDonogh (4-3, 4-0) past Friends, in a MSA B Conference intra-divisional game. Donta' Evans added 16 for the Eagles. Sean Armstrong led Friends with 24 points.
* Harbor City 90, Francis M. Wood 77: Fred Banks scored 21 to lead Harbor City Learning Center (3-0, 3-0) past visiting Francis M. Wood (1-2, 1-2), in a Walter G. Amprey League game.