Sabers rattled, but win, 74-58


After winning the Henderson Neal Memorial Tournament on their home court yesterday, some of Southwestern's players enjoyed a box of oranges.

While the fruit was probably sweet, the No. 4 Sabers' performance in a 74-58 victory over Patterson was another story.

"We played lackadaisical," said senior point guard Haywood Eaddy.

"We had a lot of turnovers and just looked really bad. We need to get back on the practice floor because we've got a lot of work to do."

Eaddy, 5 feet 8, led all scorers with 25 points and six assists for Southwestern (7-0).

Junior forward Ernie Evans added 21 and five rebounds. Colin Jones scored 18 to lead the Clippers (4-4).

Playing under a chill that permeated the gymnasium, Eaddy's teammates played as if they were hibernating.

Eaddy scored nine of his 10 fourth-quarter points during a 11-0 run that gave Southwestern a 69-51 margin with 4:13 remaining.

"We looked terrible," Southwestern coach Terry Leverett said. "The layoff [Wednesday's postponement] didn't help and messed up our rhythm. Once again, Haywood stepped it up in the second half. But the problem is my kids refuse to believe that anybody can beat you on any given day. They refuse to believe that."

If the Sabers didn't believe before yesterday's game, their minds were changed by halftime.

With a 20-2 run to open the second quarter, Patterson built a 30-20 advantage and was able to break Southwestern's trapping press. The Clippers led at the half, 39-32.

They maintained the margin until midway in the third, when the Sabers began attacking effectively. In a period of five possessions, the Clippers had three turnovers and Southwestern scored 12 straight to take a 52-43 lead.

Patterson closed the margin to 58-51 early in the fourth. Then Eaddy began to take control, making two free throws and later a jumper in the lane, when he got Jones in the air with a pump fake, then spun around him.

"We played a great half," said Patterson coach Larry Alexander, whose team had 19 turnovers in the second half.

"What we didn't do in the second half that we did in the first was we didn't attack their press. They would run a secondary trap at half-court, and kids would get caught up in it and not rotate the ball away from it."

In yesterday's consolation game, Northern (4-4) trailed by as many 23 points to Carver (2-5), but came back for a 96-94 double-overtime victory.

Marquies Gray's jumper with 5.7 seconds remaining was the only scoring in the second overtime. The Vikings' comeback was spurred by William Jerrigan, who scored 40 points.

Carver finished with four players on the court, because of the eight Bears who suited up, four fouled out, the last with a minute to go in the first overtime.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad