Carroll County Recycling Operations says residents' Christmas trees are recyclable. Trees will be ground up for mulch, and free mulch is available at county landfills.
In return for recycling the Christmas tree, residents will receive a coupon for a free seedling, which can be redeemed in April. Remove all tinsel and ornaments from trees before taking them to be recycled.
Here is a list of county Christmas tree recycling drop-off locations:
* Northern Landfill, Route 140, Westminster; any time.
* Hoods Mill Landfill, 7901 Kabik Court, Sykesville; any time.
* Piney Run Park, 30 Martz Road, Eldersburg; from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 15 to receive coupon; or any time in the grassy area by the red bin.
* Hampstead, Route 88 near Dogwood Lane; through January.
* Manchester, Park and Water streets; any Saturday in January.
* Mount Airy, curbside pickup Jan. 12; or at Prospect Drive through January.
* Sykesville, curbside pickup Jan. 5 and 12; or recycling center on Sandosky Road through January.
* Union Bridge, curbside pickup Jan. 3 and 10; or Community Center on Ladiesburg Road through January.
* Taneytown, curbside pickup Jan. 8; or Memorial Park Recycling Center on Route 140 through January.
* Westminster, curbside pickup by arrangement with public works (848-9077); or Tuc Road and Locust Street through January.
In addition, many other items used during the holidays are recyclable. Nonmetallic wrapping paper, cardboard boxes and cards can be included in your regular recyclables collected by your hauler. For details, call the Carroll County Recycling Office at 857-2633 or your town office.