Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Rev. Clarence KirbyMethodist minister, 97The Rev. Clarence...


Rev. Clarence Kirby

Methodist minister, 97

The Rev. Clarence E. Kirby, a United Methodist clergyman for nearly 60 years, died of pneumonia Tuesday at Good Samaritan Hospital. The Hamilton resident was 97.

He retired in 1962 from St. Paul's United Methodist Church on Monument Street in East Baltimore where he had been pastor since 1948.

He was born and reared on Hamilton Avenue in Northeast Baltimore, and "remembered when Harford Road was a dirt road and Hamilton was still in Baltimore County," said a son, John E. Kirby of Jarrettsville.

He was educated in Baltimore County schools and was a 1916 graduate of Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Va.

He took the Methodist course of study and other correspondence courses in preparation for his vocation. He was licensed to preach by the church in 1920 and was ordained in 1923. His career took him to churches in Virginia and West Virginia before he returned to Maryland in the late 1930s.

After his retirement in 1962, he was associate minister at Govans United Methodist Church until 1964. From 1964 until 1978, he was minister of visitations at St. John's United Methodist Church in Hamilton.

"He had a wonderful sense of humor right to the end," said the Rev. Linda Coveleskie of St. John's United Methodist Church. "In a board meeting when the talk turned serious, he would shed wisdom in a light and humorous way. It helped to break the tension."

"When he started his career during the Depression, oftentimes ministers were paid in crops or meat," said Ms. Coveleskie. "He was very active when serving on the board of the Methodist Conference in establishing minimum salaries for clergy. It's something we're all grateful for."

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at St. John's United Methodist Church of Hamilton, 5315 Harford Road.

His first wife, the former Anna Edwards of Baltimore whom he married in 1921, died in 1966.

He is survived by his second wife, the former Alice T. Vickery of Baltimore, whom he married in 1970; another son, Harry E. Kirby of Punta Gorda, Fla.; two stepsons, Leonard T. Tiemann of California and Jon R. Tiemann of Perry Hall; two brothers, Harry I. Kirby of Cape May, N.J., and John H. Kirby of Baltimore; 15 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

L Donations may be made to St. John's United Methodist Church.

Johanna Zitza

Worked at Stewart's

Johanna Zitza, a retired sales associate and homemaker, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at a nursing home in Maitland, Fla.

The former Parkville resident, who was 88, had moved to Florida in 1981.

She was a sales associate in women's clothing for 10 years at the York Road store of Stewart & Co. before retiring in 1973.

Born and reared in Strasbourg, Germany, she immigrated to Baltimore in 1930 with her husband, Curt L. Zitza, a locomotive engineer she married in 1921. They lived on Bauernwood Avenue in Northeast Baltimore for many years. He died in 1961.

Mrs. Zitza had been a member of St. Luke Evangelical Lutheran Church in Baltimore for more than 30 years.

Services were held Tuesday in Florida. A memorial service is set for 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Luke Evangelical Lutheran Church, 7001 Harford Road.

Survivors include a son, Harro Zitza, and a daughter, Dorothy M. Brown, both of Maitland; three brothers and three sisters, all of Germany; three grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Charles E. McGarry

Funeral director

Charles E. McGarry, a funeral director for more than 35 years, died Nov. 19 of cancer at his home in Overlea. He was 54.

He had worked for the past five years at the Leonard J. Ruck Funeral Home in Northeast Baltimore. He also worked at the Schimunek Funeral Home, also in Northeast Baltimore, the Johnson Funeral Home in Towson, and the old Tickner's Funeral Home at North and Pennsylvania avenues, where he was an apprentice.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Kenwood High School and the Eckles School of Embalming in Philadelphia.

He was a member of the Maryland Air National Guard for 20 years and was called to active duty from December 1990 until April 1991 during the Desert Shield and Desert Storm operations. He was a staff sergeant in the 135th Mobile Aerial Port, which loaded planes at Dover (Del.) Air Force Base.

He was a member of the Cardinal Gibbons Council of the Knights of Columbus.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Nov. 22 at St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Overlea.

He is survived by his wife, the former Lawana Anna Dzierwa; two daughters, Laurie A. Thrasher of Overlea and Julie Kay McGarry of White Marsh; a brother, Thomas E. McGarry of Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; and two grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad