Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Virginia C. BiddleGirls' tennis championVirginia Carpenter Biddle,...

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Virginia C. Biddle

Girls' tennis champion

Virginia Carpenter Biddle, who won tennis championships in the 1920s, died Friday of heart failure at the home of her daughter in Havre de Grace.

She was 90 and had lived in Havre de Grace for five years.

She won national girls' doubles tennis championships in 1920 and 1921 and lost to Helen Wills Moody in the singles championship in 1921.

In 1924, she was a member of the United States field hockey team that toured the British Isles and France and in 1925 she won the Philadelphia badminton championship. She also golfed, and was a trap shooter and ice dancer.

She was a member of the Sunnybrook Golf Club and the Philadelphia Cricket Club.

She was a native of Chestnut Hill, Pa., and was educated there.

The former Virginia Carpenter was twice widowed. Her first husband, Alfred Reeves Hunter, died in 1962. Her second

husband, retired Army Brig. Gen. Nicholas Biddle, died in 1977.

She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America and the Acorn Club in Philadelphia.

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Chestnut Hill.

She is survived by her daughter, Rosalie Hunter Thompson of Havre de Grace; a son, Alfred Reeves Hunter of Philadelphia; 11 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Monsignor J.F. Healy

Pastor in Linthicum

Monsignor Joseph F. Healy, retired pastor of St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church in Linthicum Heights, died Friday at St. Joseph Hospital.

Monsignor Healy, who was 86, lost consciousness after apparently choking at dinner Wednesday evening. He never regained consciousness.

In 1964, he became the first pastor of St. Philip Neri, developing the parish plant -- the church, school and rectory. The church was remarkable at the time for its conformity to post-Vatican II liturgy -- it was built with the altar facing the people. Before Vatican II, priests celebrated Mass with their backs to the congregation.

He retired as pastor in 1971, but he became auditor for the archdiocesan tribunal. He was the first representative of the tribunal to interview those seeking annulments until he retired again in 1979 and moved to Long Crandon, the retirement home for priests. Later, he moved to the adjacent Stella Maris Hospice.

Born in Richmond, Va., he came to Baltimore as a child with his family. He was educated at St. Cecilia's School and Calvert Hall College.

He left Calvert Hall after two years and studied for four years at St. Charles College, a minor seminary. He then attended Loyola College, graduating in 1929.

He worked as a salesman for Swift & Co. for 10 years before resuming his studies for the priesthood at Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg. Later, he also studied at the Jesuit novitiate at Wernersville, Pa. He was ordained on June 8, 1944.

Before becoming pastor at St. Philip Neri, he had been an associate pastor at St. Martin's in Baltimore, at St. Matthew's, also a new parish when he was assigned there, and at St. Dominic's, all in Baltimore.

In 1982, he was made a prelate of honor with the title of monsignor.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10:30 a.m. today in the chapel at Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson.

His brother, Monsignor Austin L. Healy, died Feb. 12 .

Survivors include three sisters, Mary Frances Burke and Louise Healy, both of Baltimore, and Catherine Brown of Bel Air. Raymond N. Chell Sr., a retired electronics and communications expert, died Saturday of cancer at his Tydings On The Bay home near Sandy Point. He was 72.

He was service manager for Gravely Tractors in Annapolis from 1970 until his retirement in 1983. Before starting there, he had worked from 1959 to 1968 as a project manager for Motorola Communications, based in Reston, Va.

Earlier, he was a part owner of Chell & Moran, a communications and appliance firm founded in 1950 by him and his brother-in-law, Robert F. Moran. The firm, based on Edmondson Avenue, operated a two-way-radio service for clients and sold radios, television sets and other appliances. Mr. Chell left the business in 1959.

The Mansfield, Pa., native moved to Ellicott City with his family in the 1930s and was a 1939 graduate of Howard High School. He worked as an engineer for WITH-Radio, beginning in 1940.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1943 and during World War II was a radio technician aboard the USS St. Paul, a heavy cruiser. He graduated from the Bliss Electrical School and the Naval Research Laboratory Radio Materiel School, both Navy training schools in 1945. After being discharged in 1946, he returned to the radio station, working there until 1950.

Known as "Bud," he was a Catonsville resident until 1968 when he moved to Tydings On The Bay. He was active in community affairs. Interested in shoreline restoration, he recently led a campaign there to have a Works Progress Administration-era revetment sea wall restored.

He was active for many years in Christian youth education and adult fellowship at the Catonsville Presbyterian Church. While living in Catonsville, he was one of the founders of the Rollingwood Pool.

He was a member of the Exchange Club of Baltimore and the International Municipal Signal Association.

Services were set for 7 p.m. today at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 461 College Parkway, Arnold.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Norma S. Hauswald of Catonsville; a son, Raymond N. Chell Jr. of Annapolis; three daughters, Jeanne C. Armacost of Towson, Patricia C. Thompson of Danville, Pa., and Nancy L. Chell of Annapolis; four sisters, Thelma C. McNemar of Catonsville, Naomi "Dolly" Hardman of Towson, Myrtle E. Chell and Catherine E. Chell, both of Catonsville; and 10 grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the National Lupus Foundation of America, 4 Research Place, Suite 180, Rockville, Md. 20850; the National Downs Syndrome Congress, 1800 Dempster St., Parkridge, Ill., 60068-1146; or the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. Merl G. Ringenberg Jr., retired associate director for engineering at Edgewood Arsenal, died Saturday after an apparent heart attack at his home in Bel Air.

He was 78 and had begun working at Edgewood in 1950. He retired in 1974. Before coming to Edgewood, he had worked at the Pine Bluff (Ark.) Arsenal during World War II.

Born in Seattle, he was a 1938 graduate of the University of Washington, where he earned a chemical engineering degree.

At Fallston General Hospital, his volunteer service since his retirement had exceeded 10,500 hours. He was treasurer of the Volunteer Association and this year was the first recipient of the hospital's "Volunteer of the Quarter" award.

He was also one of the first volunteers in a tax counseling program for the elderly sponsored by the American Association of Retired Persons and the Harford County Office on Aging. He not only helped the elderly with their tax returns but taught other counselors.

He was a stamp collector who specialized in United States commemoratives and belonged to several collectors' organizations.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Irene Fitzgerald; a daughter, Patricia Sue Bean of Tarboro, N.C.; and two grandchildren.

A memorial service was set for 11 a.m. today at the Howard K. McComas III Funeral Home in Abingdon.

@

Raymond L. Roth

McCormick salesman

Raymond L. Roth, a retired salesman for McCormick & Co. who worked part time at a funeral home, died Saturday at the Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications after surgery.

He was 72 and lived in Towson. He retired in 1982 after working for McCormick for 37 years. Since then, he had worked part time in the office of Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral home.

A native of Red Lion, Pa., he was a graduate of the high school there and of the Eckles School of Embalming in Philadelphia.

He worked for a funeral director in York, Pa., and served in the Army during World War II before moving to the Baltimore area nearly 50 years ago.

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at Grace United Methodist Church, 5704 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Neva I. Holtzapple; two sons, Edward R. Roth of New Freedom, Pa., and Jason P. Roth of Towson; a daughter, Janice L. Roth of Towson; a sister, Annabelle Sherman of York; a brother, Kenneth Roth of Red Lion; and three grandchildren. Burton S. Twining, who farmed a 140-year-old family farm in Glen Arm, died Sunday of complications from a stroke at Stella Maris Hospice. He was 84.

He was the last of eight children who were born and reared on the I. G. Twining & Sons farm, which his grandfather, Daniel Hallowell Twining, a Pennsylvania Quaker, had established after purchasing 270 acres of land along the Gunpowder Falls with money he had made during the California Gold Rush of 1849.

The farm was known for its dairy herd, sweet corn and Leghorn chickens.

From 1930 to 1960, Mr. Twining operated a popular retail egg route in the Parkville area.

"Several years ago, we videotaped dad," said Helen T. Kadlec, his daughter, "and he told stories about old-time farming techniques and when threshing machines helped farmers with their harvests. He remembered when Harford Road was a country path and when crops traveled to market in Baltimore by horse and wagon."

According to his daughter, the original farmhouse burned down, and the replacement dates from the turn of the century. "There is a barn on the farm that was built with slave labor and dates back to before the Civil War," she said.

Mr. Twining attended Greenwood School in Glen Arm and "rode the Ma & Pa Railroad [Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad] to Towson High School," his daughter said.

He was married for 52 years to the former Esther Will of Towson, who died in 1984.

He was a member for 80 years of the Waugh United Methodist Church, where he had been a trustee and sang in the choir. He also was a member of the Fallston Farmers Club.

Services were set for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Waugh United Methodist Church, Long Green Pike, Glen Arm, with interment to be in the church cemetery.

Other survivors include four grandchildren and 14 nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be made to the church, P.O. Box 144, Glen Arm 21057.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
46°