Sister CatherineCared for childrenSister Mary Catherine Gahle,...


Sister Catherine

Cared for children

Sister Mary Catherine Gahle, S.S.N.D., who had cared for children and worked in food service at several institutions operated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, died Tuesday of heart disease at the Maria Heath Center at the order's motherhouse in Towson.

She was 83 and had retired in 1973 after working for a year in the dining room at the motherhouse.

Born in Westminster, she graduated from St. John Elementary School there.

Before entering the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1946, she worked as a seamstress in a Westminster factory and helped out at the rectory of St. John Roman Catholic Church there, driving the priest, altar boys and nuns to the missions at Manchester and Hampstead on Sundays, and often serving as a bridesmaid at weddings and godmother at baptisms.

She began her career in food service in 1948 in the bakery at the motherhouse. From 1949 until 1956, she worked at St. Vincent Home for boys in Tacony, Pa., and from 1956 to 1957 at St. Peter Orphanage in Newark, N.J. From 1957 to 1960, she worked at Villa Maria, a retirement home the order used to operate in Glen Arm.

From 1960 to 1961, she worked at the prep school then returned to St. Vincent from 1961 until 1972 when she was assigned to the motherhouse.

After joining the order of nuns, she was known for many years as Sister Mary Antonilda but dropped her religious name when nuns were allowed to use their given names.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today in the chapel of Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse, 6401 N. Charles St.

She is survived by a sister, Anne Smith of Westminster; a niece and nephew, two grandnieces and a grandnephew.

Raymond Pollock Sr.

Sun stereotyper

Raymond N. Pollock Sr., a retired stereotyper for The Baltimore Sun Co., died Tuesday after a heart attack at his home on Susquehanna Avenue in Towson. He was 82.

He retired in 1977 after working since 1937 for the publisher of The Sun and The Evening Sun. He also worked for a time in a second job at the News-American, where he also made the semicircular metal plates that were used to print newspapers.

The Baltimore native served two years in the Army during World War II.

He was a member of the Hamilton post of the American Legion, where he started the Honor Guard, and the Disabled American Veterans.

His wife, the former Charlotte E. Moreau, died in 1990.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 6515 Loch Raven Blvd.

Mr. Pollock is survived by a son, Raymond N. Pollock Jr. of Dayton, Texas; a stepdaughter, Joan L. Beziat of Baltimore; 10 grandchildren; and 20 great-grandchildren.

Elroy W. Wright

Machine operator

Elroy W. Wright, a retired machine operator for the Martin Marietta Corp., died Tuesday at the Fort Howard Veterans Hospital of complications of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

He was 74 and lived on Wrights Road in Essex. He retired about five years ago after having gone to work nearly 45 years earlier for what was then the Glenn L. Martin Co.

During World War II, he served in the Pacific with the U.S. Marine Corps and was twice wounded by machine gun fire on Iwo Jima.

Born in Essex, he attended Back River Elementary School.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Brudzinski Funeral Home, 1407 Eastern Ave., Essex.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Lena M. Wright; two daughters, Catherine Lima and Betty Ashley, both of Glen Burnie; and three grandchildren.

Francis M. Benson

Administered aid

Francis M. Benson, who administered foreign aid programs in the State Department, died Sunday of heart failure at Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick.

He was 93 and had moved from Washington to Dowell in Southern Maryland in 1968.

He joined the State Department in 1956 and retired in 1970. He had worked earlier as a regional sales official for the Ford Motor Co. in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York.

Born in Freeland and reared in several other Maryland communities, Mr. Benson was a 1929 graduate of the Johns Hopkins University.

He was an ordnance officer in the Army during World War II, reaching the rank of captain. He joined the reserves and retired in 1960 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

His wife, the former Miriam Cronhardt, died in 1983.

Services were set for 10:30 a.m. today at the Eline Funeral Home, 11824 Reisterstown Road in Reisterstown.

He is survived by a daughter, Frances B. Hogg of Toronto, Ontario, Canada; two sisters, Esther Haugh of Lancaster, Pa., and Roberta Labbe of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Joan Marie Yersin

Led volunteers

Joan Marie Yersin, a former president and life member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company, died Nov. 28 of cancer at her home in Kingsville.

She was 64 and had lived in Kingsville since 1960.

The former Joan Marie Laun was a native of New York City who was reared in several communities. She was a graduate of what is now the Notre Dame Preparatory School in Towson and of St. Mary of the Woods College in Indiana.

She had majored in advertising in college and worked in the local advertising department of Sears, Roebuck & Co. She then taught in a Baltimore City elementary school.

A memorial Mass was to be offered at 11:30 a.m. today at St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church, 8030 Bradshaw Road, Bradshaw.

She is survived by her husband of 40 years, Ray A. Yersin; four sons, Peter Yersin of State College, Pa., Andrew Yersin of St. Charles, Mo., and Dion and Timothy Yersin, both of Kingsville; a daughter, Joanna Fink of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.

James E. Kookogey

Insurance agent

James E. Kookogey, a retired field representative for the Continental Insurance Co., died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital after a heart attack at his home the previous evening.

He was 77 and had retired in 1981 after 10 years with Continental.

For 25 years before then, he was associated with the Boston and Old Colony Insurance Co. and was manager of its Baltimore branch office.

The Baltimore native was educated in the public schools and at McDonogh School.

During World War II, he played trumpet in an Army band.

A memorial service was set for 11 a.m. today at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld Funeral Home, 6500 York Road, Rodgers Forge.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Margaret Pieper; two sons, James L. Kookogey of Bel Air and Wayne A. Kookogey of Cockeysville; and three granddaughters.

Eugene G. Curry

School vice principal

Eugene G. Curry, retired vice principal of Bladensburg High School and a supporter of racial equality in the schools and elsewhere, died December 10 of heart disease at his home in Forestville.

He was 67 and had retired in 1986.

Mr. Curry started working in the Prince George's County public school system in 1951 as a metal shop teacher at Fairmount Heights High School.

Known as Bull Curry, he insisted on the pursuit of excellence from his students and was willing to take on his employer in court. He successfully sued the Prince George's school board twice on behalf of his own children, seeking admission to the nearest elementary school in one case and to a club football program that used school property in another.

Reared in the Cedar Hill section of Anne Arundel County, Mr. Curry was a graduate of Bates High School in Annapolis.

He served in the Army in the late 1940s. He graduated with a degree in industrial education from Hampton (Va.) Institute, where he was a lineman on the football team. He also did graduate work at the University of Maryland and Western Michigan University and earned a master's degree in educational administration.

Services were held Wednesday at the First Baptist Church of Highland Park, Landover.

His marriage to the former Juliette Harris ended in divorce.

Other survivors include four sons, Daryl Curry of Greenbelt, Wayne Curry of Mitchellville, Leslie Curry of Mesa, Ariz., and Kevin Curry of Glenn Dale; a daughter, Denice Curry Taylor of Kettering; his father, Elzie Curry of Cedar Hill; a brother, Robert Curry of Glen Burnie; two sisters, Grace Moore of Cedar Hill and Irene Wallace of Baltimore; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Raymond C. Ruppel

Retired engineer

Raymond C. Ruppel, a retired engineering department manager for the Western Electric Co., died Monday at the Lorien Columbia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center of a brain tumor.

He was 72 and had lived in the Hampton House apartments in Towson. He retired in 1981 from Western Electric's Eastern Regional Engineering Center in Cockeysville, where he had been since 1966.

He had started working for the telephone equipment company in Chicago 10 years earlier.

A native of Sheboygan, Wis., he was a 1949 graduate of the University of Wisconsin, where he earned a business degree. He also received a master's degree in business administration in 1964 from the University of Chicago.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Europe and the Pacific, flying hospital planes and transport planes.

Later, he was an aerobatic pilot and a member of the mid-Atlantic chapter of the International Aerobatic Club. Until about five years ago, he flew his own Pitts S-1, which he kept at the Frederick Airport.

A memorial service was held yesterday at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Baynesville.

His wife, the former Marie J. Lenhardt, died in 1992.

He is survived by two sons, Peter J. Ruppel of Orofino, Idaho, and Robert J. Ruppel of Ellicott City; two daughters, Jane M. Ruppel of Mountain View, Calif., and Ellen M. Ruppel of Antioch, Calif.; five brothers, Harold Ruppel of Parker, Colo., Richard Ruppel of Cumberland, Wis., Daniel Ruppel of Sheboygan, John Ruppel of Eagle, Idaho, and Wesley Ruppel of Fredonia, Wis.; two sisters, Helen Riggert of Vacaville, Calif., and Patricia Hamilton of Anaheim, Calif.; and six grandchildren.

Joshua and Irvin Dett

Father and son

A West Baltimore hair salon owner whose work was seen in the 1970s on Broadway took his own life Saturday, and his father, a retired janitorial service owner, died the next day after a heart attack.

Combined services for the two men are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. today at the Living Word Christian Center, 5818 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore.

Irvin R. Dett, who died of a self-inflicted gun shot Saturday, owned and operated the popular Dett Set on Garrison Avenue. He was 50.

Joshua I. Dett, who was 80, was stricken with a heart attack after learning of his son's death and died early Sunday at his West Baltimore home.

Irvin Dett styled the hair of such Hollywood and singing stars as Melba Moore, Daphne Maxwell Reid, Eartha Kitt and members of the Three Degrees singing group. He also worked as a hair stylist on Broadway productions of "The Wiz," "Cats" and "Guys and Dolls" in the 1970s.

"The quality of his work earned him a reputation, and when stars came to Baltimore and asked about a hair stylist he was always recommended," said Melinda Mooney, his sister who lives in Baltimore.

Born and reared in West Baltimore, Mr. Dett attended city schools and was a 1963 graduate of Edmondson High School. He continued his education at the Lawanda Beauty Academy in Washington, D.C., and graduated in 1964. He worked for several Baltimore hair stylists before opening Dett Set in 1972. He moved the shop to its present location in 1984.

"Irvin was one of the most highly acclaimed and respected creative artists in the beauty industry," said Trudy McNair, owner of Hair Above salon near Towson and a longtime friend. "He was a mentor for many of the entrepreneurs planning to go into the salon business."

He was a founding member in 1988 of the Beauty Owners Alliance, a professional organization that set standards and ethics in the beauty industry.

In his leisure time he enjoyed horseback riding, but "his work was his life," his sister said.

His 1985 marriage ended in divorce.

He is survived by his sister.

Joshua I. Dett was born and reared in Reisterstown. He attended public schools there and was a 1935 graduate of Douglass High School.

He worked as a hotel doorman before enlisting in the Marines during World War II, where he was a clerk. After his discharge, he returned to Baltimore and worked as an insurance man before establishing Dett & Dett, a commercial janitorial contractor, in the late 1950s. He retired in 1984.

A 32nd Degree Mason, he was active in numerous Masonic organizations and enjoyed fishing and watching sports on TV.

In 1937, he married the former Elizabeth Lucas of Virginia, who died in 1983.

He is survived by his daughter, Melinda Mooney of Baltimore; a brother, Andrew Dett, and a sister, Annie Milligan, both of Reisterstown; two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Lura O. Gorham

Music teacher

Lura Osborn Gorham, a retired music teacher in Alabama schools, died Monday of Alzheimer's disease at Keswick. She was 89 and had lived briefly in Ashburton before moving to the home for the elderly in 1986.

The former Lura Huntington was a native of Thomasville, Ala. A lyric soprano, she majored in vocal music at Alabama State University, then taught in the Thomasville and Birmingham areas.

Although she retired in 1964, she remained a member of the Alabama State Teachers Association. She had also been active in the Alabama organization of Parent Teacher Associations.

Her first husband, Ullman Carl Osborn, died in 1956. Her second husband, Jerry Gorham, died in 1990.

A memorial service was held yesterday at Heritage United Church of Christ, Baltimore.

She is survived by a daughter, Anne O. Emery of Baltimore; a foster son, Edward Harris of Washington; three sisters, Edna Johnson, Zadye Williams and Camilla Madison, all of Baltimore; three grandsons; and a great-grandson.

Memorial donations may be made to the Elevator Fund at Heritage United Church of Christ.

Betty S. Read

Worked as a nurse

Betty S. Read, who had worked as a nurse in Baltimore before moving to the Eastern Shore, died Monday at the William Hill Health Care Center in Easton of an infection.

She was 87 and a native of Nevada, Mo. She was reared in Madison, Ind., and in Baltimore, where she was a 1924 graduate of Western High School.

She attended Mary Baldwin College for a year and graduated from the Union Memorial Hospital nursing school.

She had worked as a nurse at Baltimore City Hospitals, now the Francis Scott Key Medical Center, until 1937.

In 1969, she moved to St. Michaels, where she served from 1972 until 1976 as a town commissioner. She was a member of the auxiliary of the St. Michaels Fire Department, the Edgecreek Boat Club and Christ Episcopal Church.

Her husband, Howard Sheeler Read, a retired salesman for E. B. Read & Sons, a printing company, died in 1970.

After moving to Easton in 1990, she became a member of St. Andrew-The Seafarer Anglican Church there.

Services were held yesterday at the Newnam Funeral Home in Easton.

She is survived by a daughter, Patricia R. Wood of Easton; two sisters, Mary Boone Jensen of Tucson, Ariz., and Martha List of Baltimore; a brother, Philip Stapp of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Stonington, Conn.; and two grandchildren.

Another grandchild died in 1982.

Memorial donations may be made to St. Andrew-The Seaferer Anglican Church.

William D. Kean

Sales manager

William D. Kean, retired regional sales manager for Worthington-Dresser Industries, died Sunday of cancer at his home in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

He was 73 and had moved to Florida in 1987 after his retirement from the turbine generator company, which he joined in 1949. The firm had offices in Timonium, where Mr. Kean lived since 1968.

He was a member of the Towson Golf and Country Club, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Pi Tau Sigma engineering fraternity, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the American Legion and the Second Air Division Association.

Born in Mantua, N.J., Mr. Kean was a 1949 graduate of Virginia Polytechnic Institute. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

A memorial service was held yesterday at the Arlington Funeral Home in Jacksonville, Fla.

He is survived by his wife, the former Barbara Blensinger; a daughter, Janice A. Kean of Richmond, Va.; two sons, William D. Kean Jr. of Gibson City, Ill., and Robert A. Kean of Monkton; a sister, Esther E. Brown of Williamsport; a brother, Walter L. Kean of Cherry Hill, N.J.; and three grandchildren.

Harry D. Johnson

Baltimore native

Harry D. Johnson, a native of Baltimore, died Dec. 5 of complications of diabetes at a hospital in Springfield, Mo.

He was 72 and had retired about 10 years ago as a yard foreman for the Colorado Fuel and Steel Co. in Pueblo, Colo.

A graduate of Southern High School and the University of Maryland, he served in the Army Air Forces as a tail gunner on B-17 and B-29 bombers in Africa and Europe during World War II. His decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.

He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Loyal Order of Moose.

Services were Dec. 8 in Springfield.

Mr. Johnson is survived by his wife, the former Jean Wilson; two sons, Ted Flood of Colorado Springs and Bob Flood of Springfield; three daughters, Cheryl Winegard and Carolyn Maes, both of Denver, and Chris Lehman of Allenwood, Pa.; two brothers, Ed Johnson of West Palm Beach, Fla., and Wilbur A. Johnson of Parkville; eight grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

Jean W. Klein

Retired from Stewart's

Jean W. Klein, a retired lingerie saleswoman, died Sunday at a hospital in Lewisburg, Pa., after a heart attack. She was 77.

She had retired nearly 15 years ago from the Stewart & Co. store in downtown Baltimore.

She had moved to Baltimore in 1944 and worked for a time as a hair dresser before going to work at Stewart's. Earlier, she had worked as a hairdresser in Lewistown, Pa.

The former Jean W. Bond was a native of Allport, Pa., who was educated in public schools in Morrisvale, Pa., and at a beauty school in Huntington, Pa.

Her husband, Henry E. Klein, who was a truck driver for the Schluderberg-Kurdle meatpacking company, died in 1972.

A resident of Lewisburg since 1981, she was a member of Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church and had earlier belonged to St. Bernardine's Church in Baltimore and St. Mark Church in Catonsville.

Graveside services were Wednesday at the New Cathedral Cemetery in Baltimore.

Mrs. Klein is survived by three daughters, Kathryn Schmidt of Kent, Conn., Jacqueline Stewart of Ashland, Ky., and Betty J. K. Bachman of Mifflinburg, Pa.; four sisters, Glen Wiser and Helen Harris, both of Huntington, Carolyn Varner of Baltimore and Edith Bechtel of Howard, Pa.; and two grandchildren.

John R. Bader

Federal lawyer

John R. Bader, a lawyer who worked for the Health Care Finance Review Board and earlier for the Social Security Administration, was killed Dec. 10 in an automobile accident on Stevenson Road in Severn.

Mr. Bader, who was 58 and lived in Glen Burnie, had worked for the federal agencies for 30 years.

Born in Allentown, Pa., he served in the Army in the late 1950s and then moved to the Baltimore area. He attended the University of Baltimore and the University of Maryland Law School.

He was a former exalted ruler of the Glen Burnie Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He had been a vice president of the state Elks association and a deputy district grand exalted ruler, heading a district of several states, including Maryland.

Services were Wednesday at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Bader is survived by two daughters, Stacey Swingle and Stephanie A. Bader, both of Glen Burnie; a brother, Richard Bader of Allentown; a sister, Rochelle Nickerson of Allentown; and a friend, Diana H. Mariano of Towson.

John H. Terrell III

NSA engineer

John H. Terrell III, an engineer who worked for 26 years for the National Security Agency at Fort Meade, died Dec. 10 of cancer at his home in Arnold. He was 46.

The native of Birmingham, Ala., attended Auburn University before earning a degree in industrial engineering at the Johns Hopkins University.

He served in the Army on Okinawa in the late 1960s.

A member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honorary fraternity, he also had joined Sigma Chi, the social fraternity at Auburn.

He was a former member of the vestry at St. Christopher's Episcopal Church in Linthicum Heights.

Services were Wednesday at St. Christopher's Episcopal Church.

Mr. Terrell is survived by his wife of 26 years, the former Pat Wells; a son, John H. Terrell IV of Elkins, W.Va.; and his mother, Ida Terrell of Birmingham.

Clara Mary Spindler

Worked at distillery

Clara Mary Spindler, who had worked in the shipping department of the Calvert Distillery on Washington Boulevard as a young woman, died Saturday of pneumonia and heart failure at North Arundel Hospital.

She was 83 and had lived in Glen Burnie for 40 years, where she was a member of the Abundant Life Church.

The former Clara Mary Kesting was a native of Baltimore. Her husband of 50 years, John R. Spindler, died in 1982.

Services were yesterday at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.

Mrs. Spindler is survived by three sons, William T. Horsey of Linthicum Heights, Elmer A. Horsey of Glen Burnie and John R. Spindler Jr. of Littleton, Colo.; a sister, Mary Warner of Pasadena; 13 grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad